M. N. Shaw, son of Neal Shaw, came with his father to this township in 1832. This being previous to the removal of the Indians, he refers to that event as the most beautiful scene he ever witnessed. He distinctly remembers the chief, Joseph Parks, who had charge of the tribe. The money on this occasion was conveyed in a wagon drawn by four fine horses, richly caparisoned. A white man named Thomas Elliott was the driver. He accompanied the Indians to Kansas, where he married the chiefs daughter. About 28 years later their son visited his father's people at Wapakoneta, but could not be induced to associate with the young people of the town. He was perhaps the last descendant of the tribe who visited the old home. The parting scene when the Indians took leave of the few whites was solemn and affecting. When he came to Wapakoneta it contained but three white families, among whom was Peter Hammel, who had been a trader among the Indians for twenty years prior to this time. He has been told by the Indians that the grave of the chief Wapakoneta is on the site now occupied by the residence of D. Kritzer or Mr. Happ.

 

 

From "History of Auglaize County, Ohio, with the Indian History of Wapakoneta, and the First Settlement of the County", Robert Sutton, Publishers, Wapakoneta, 1880