In 1829, Geo. C.Johnston, a resident of Piqua, opened a store or trading post about where the spoke and wheel establishment of Bitler & Co. now stands; and the same year Joseph Parks, then the United States Interpreter, also had a stock of goods; his store was near the old council house on Anglaize Street. At that time the venerable French gentleman, Francis Duchouquet, former interpreter of the Shawnees, resided there and on the ground on which the former residence of Hon. Geo. W. Andrews stands.

 

 

From "History of Auglaize County, Ohio, with the Indian History of Wapakoneta, and the First Settlement of the County", Robert Sutton, Publishers, Wapakoneta, 1880