J. H. Timmermeister, the son of Wilhelm and Clara Timmermeister, was born in Hanover Province (near Osnabriick), Germany, April 13, 1831.


He started to learn the tinning trade in the spring of 1845, and served an apprenticeship of four years from that date. After the four years had expired, he worked at his trade until July 9, 1851, when he started for the United States.


He arrived at New York in September, and remained in that city for about four years. During that time he was occupied a part of the time at his trade and a part of the time in selling goods.


Mr. Timmermeister came to Wapakoneta July 15, 1855, and was soon engaged as a clerk in the store of O. T. Dieker, where he remained until the spring of 1859, when he commenced business for himself under the name of J. H. Timmermeister & Co. He was married to Miss Caroline Machetanz on the 22d of August of the same year (1859).


In 1862 the firm of J. H. Timmermeister & Co. was changed to J. H. Timmermeister, and he has been doing a prosperous business up to the present time, his store being the leading business house in this place.

 

 

From "History of Auglaize County, Ohio, with the Indian History of Wapakoneta, and the First Settlement of the County", Robert Sutton, Publishers, Wapakoneta, 1880