William Bitler was born near Reading, Pa., Feb. 22, 1807. His parents removed to Schuylkill County, Pa., in 1812. He married Miss Rebecca Snyder Feb. 27, 1828, and came to Franklin County, Ohio, Jan. 23, 1832. Two years later he came to this county, and settled at St. Johns. His wife died Aug. 14, 1857, and he was remarried Feb. 9, 1865, to Rosa A. Bechdolt. He was mail agent in this and Logan Counties from 1847 till 1872. The exposure incident to mail carrying in a new country unprovided with roads told fearfully upon his health, as he contracted the rheumatism in a violent form, by which he has been confined to his bed for a period of three months consecutively. In 1869 he erected the " Bitler House" in St. Johns, which he and his estimable wife has rendered not only a stopping place but a pleasant home for their guests. Mr. Bitler's family by first wife consisted of three sons and six daughters, named Christian, Arthur, Samuel, Mary (deceased), Hannah, Lucy A., Almira, Elizabeth (both deceased), and Meliala; by his present wife one stepson, E. W. Parker, and two daughters, Aurora Belle (deceased), and Dora May.
From "History of Auglaize County, Ohio, with the Indian History of Wapakoneta, and the First Settlement of the County", Robert Sutton, Publishers, Wapakoneta, 1880