Samuel Lowman was horn in Virginia, in 1807. His parents moved to Champaign County, Ohio, when he was 14 years old. He married Mary A. Plummer of Clarke County, Ohio. In 1834, he entered a piece of land in Wajme township in this county, which township was at that time a portion of Allen County, between places called the " Devil's half acre," and " Devil's backbone," in early times. The former place was named so on account of the swampy nature of the land, over which an extensive log bridge was built. The latter name was given to a narrow, gravelly ridge, one-half mile in length, and only of sufficient width for a road. He built a log house, and being one of the first settlers, his house was a stopping-place for travellers.

 

 

From "History of Auglaize County, Ohio, with the Indian History of Wapakoneta, and the First Settlement of the County", Robert Sutton, Publishers, Wapakoneta, 1880