Allen ANDREWS was born at Muncie, Indiana, on August 11, 1849. He is a son of George L. and Margaret ANDREWS, and is the fith child in a family of five sons and two daughters. His father, George L. ANDREWS, was a native of Connecticut. He was a graduate of Yale College, and after leaving that institution, came West, and was one of the pioneer educators in this State and Indiana. He married Miss Margaret RODEBAUCH, of Dayton, Ohio, while teaching in that city. Some time afterward he removed with his family to Muncie, Indiana, and was in charge of the public schools there for some time, when his health becoming impaired, he removed to his farm in Jay County, Indiana, where he died, May 28, 1854, from the effect of an injury received some months before in a mill.
Margaret RODEBAUCH, who became the wife of George L. ANDREWS, was the daughter of Adam RODEBAUCH. Her great-grandfather, Adam RODEBAUCH, came from Germany about the middle of the eighteenth century, and settled in Pennsylvania. She is still living, seventy years old, and resides at Lancaster, Indiana. When the civil war commenced, her two elder sons, John and William, enlisted under President LINCOLN's first call for troops, and served the Union cause till the close of the war.
In the early part of 1863, her next two sons, Furman and Allen, tendered their services in answer to the call for volunteers. The former was accepted, went with SHERMAN's army on its march to the sea, and was discharged after peace was restored; the latter was rejected on account of his youth, and remained at home to care for his widowed mother and the other members of the broken family. After the close of the war, Allen ANDREWS applied himself to study, having already enjoyed the advantages of the very excellent common school system of the State of Indiana. He engaged in teaching in 1867, previously having been a student at the National Normal, at Lebanon, Ohio. He is a graduate of Liber College, Indiana, and was selected by the faculty to deliver the valedictory address to the graduating class. He was superintendent of the public schools of New Madison, Ohio, during the years of 1871 and 1872.
He read law with the Hon. William ALLEN, late of Greenville, Ohio, and was admitted to the bar by the Supreme Court of Ohio, March 16, 1874, and on May 23, 1874, associated himself with J. K. RIFFEL in the practice of his profession, in Greenville. He removed from that place to Hamilton on February 29, 1876, and engaged in practice in this county. He was in partnership with J. C. McKEMY from January, 1877, to October, 1880, when the firm was dissolved. On October 18, 1880, he associated himself with H. L. MOREY and J. E. MOREY, under the firm name of MOREY, ANDREWS & MOREY.
On January 29, 1879, he was united in marriage with Miss Belle DAVIS, second daughter of John P. DAVIS, of Hamilton, Ohio, by his first wife, whose maiden name was BLAIR. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and also a member of the Masonic order. He is the W. M. of Washington Lodge, No. 17, Free and Accepted Masons, in which position he has acted for the last three years.
A History and Biographical Cyclopaedia of Butler County Ohio, With Illustrations and Sketches of its Representative Men and Pioneers Cincinnati Ohio. Western Biographical Publishing Company, 1882.