S. A. BOWERS, miller, Bucyrus, is the son of Jacob and Sarah (Palmer) Bowers. Was born April 9, 1834, in Whetstone Township, this county. He lived on a farm, assisting at home and attending school, until he was 24, when in 1858, in company with J. W. Delancy, he rented Mager's mill, at North Robinson. This they ran for about a year and the following fall they purchased the sawmill of Emanuel Deardorff. and to it they added a flour-mill, under the name of "The Sandusky Valley Mills." In 1861, Mr. Delancy retired, and the subject of the present sketch has continued the business ever since. Mr. C. F. Miller bought the mills in 1872, and, he failing, Mr. Bowers and Mr. Delancy bought the property, and have carried on the business with good success. They have three runs of buhrs, ample steam power being furnished by two engines. In 1870, Mr. Bowers bought a mill in Upper Sandusky, which he repaired and controlled about a year, when he sold it out. On May 15, 1861, he married Lizzie White, of Uniontown, Penn. Of this marriage, there are two children, Della and Carrie. His first wife died in April, 1872. In October of the following year, he married Mrs. Maggie Campbell. of Bucyrus. Mr. Bowers is a member of Demas Lodge, No. 108, K. of P and one of the most substantial citizens of the city, having made all by his own efforts. In 1863, he purchased a fine farm three miles west of the city, which he still retains. As a business man he is fair and upright and commands the esteem of all his fellow townsmen.
History of Crawford County and Ohio, Baskin & Battey, Historical Publishers, Chicago, 1881