GEORGE EDWARD BLACK, M.D. Three generations of the Black family have been represented in the medical profession, their work being done in Ohio and Indiana. Dr. George Edward Black had graduated in medicine and had done some practice when the World war came on. He went into the service, finally in the Hospital Corps, was overseas, and since returning home has been located at Akron, where he is a highly qualified specialist in eye, ear, nose and throat work.
Doctor Black was born at Weaver Station in Darke County, Ohio, December 30, 1886. His grandfather, Dr. Daniel T. Black, practiced medicine for many years as a country physician at Weaver Station and Fort Jefferson, Ohio. Dr. Ethelbert Henry Black, father of the Akron physician, was born in Grant County, Indiana, was a graduate of Rush Medical College of Chicago, and for thirty-three years handled an extensive county practice, at Rossburg in Darke County, Ohio. He died in 1915, at the age of fifty-five. He was very active in all civic and public affairs, owned a farm, had some fine horses, and was vice president of the Farmers Bank of Rossburg. He was also a member of the United Brethren Church and the Knights of Pythias. Dr. Ethelbert H. Black married Flora J. Hamaker, a native of Grant County, Indiana, now a resident of Palms in California.
Next to the youngest in a family of four children, George Edward Black grew up in a rural community at Rossburg, Ohio, attending public schools, high school at Ansonia and Greenville, Ohio, and in 1909 graduated with the Doctor of Medicine degree from the Cincinnati Medical College, where he was a member of the Tau Alpha Epsilon fraternity. After graduating he engaged in practice at Rossburg as an associate of his father.
In 1916 poor health caused him temporarily to retire from practice. Early the next year, when America entered the Worlds war, he enlisted as a private in the Three Hundred and Twentieth Infantry, taking that branch of the service in order to build up his physical constitution. Later he was made a first class sergeant in the Hospital Corps with the Three Hundred and Twentieth Infantry, and had eighteen months of service with the Expeditionary Forces. After the armistice Doctor Black went to London, England, and pursued special post-graduate work in the Central London Nose and Throat Hospital and the Eye and Ear Hospital. Upon receiving his discharge he spent some time at New York City doing special work in ear, nose and throat diseases at the New York Post Graduate Hospital.
With this preparation he entered upon his career at Akron, where he confined his practice to this special lines. He belongs to the Summit County, Sixth District and Ohio State Medical associations, and also belongs to the State Eclectic and National Eclectic Medical associations.
Doctor Black is prominent in American Legion circles, being a member of Summit Post, No. 19. He follows outdoor sports, particularly fishing and hunting, is a member of the Masonic Club and Coventry Lodge of Masons. Doctor Black married at New York City in June, 1919, Miss Blanche Flenniken, who was born and reared in Pennsylvania.
HISTORY OF OHIO, The American Historical Society, Inc., 1925, Vol. III