Joseph H. Hussey owns and operates one hundred and forty acres of land in Jefferson township and is a progressive, wide-awake and diligent farmer. His birth occurred on the old family homestead, August 31, 1856. His father, Christopher Hussey. was born in Tennessee in the year 1794, while the grandfather, Christopher Hussey, Sr., was a native of North Carolina, born in 1757. When the country became involved in the war with England, striving for national independence, he joined the colonial forces, thus gallantly fighting in the war of the Revolution. His son was a valued soldier in the war of 1812. When about twelve years of age he was brought by his parents to Jefferson township, Greene county, Ohio, they settling near what is now the village of Bowersville, on the old homestead occupied by J. H. Hussey. There a log house was built, circular in form, which until a few vears ago stood as one of the landmarks of the country side, but it has now been replaced by a fine brick residence, one of the most attractive and comfortable farm residences in the township. The grandfather bought twenty-seven hundred acres of land. In his family were the following children, namely: Thomas, Stephen, Elijah, Nathan. Christopher, Jaciih. Polly, Sophia, Nancy, Rebecca and Elizabeth, who came to maturity.
Christopher Hussey, Jr., the father of our subject, acquired his education in the old time log school house near his home, sitting upon the slab seat and resting his feet upon the puncheon floor. He studied liis lessons by the light which came through greased paper windows, while the room was heated by an immense fire-place occupying almost one entire end of the building. When eighteen years of age he put aside his text books and ceased his attendance at school, to which he had to walk a distance of three miles both morning and evening. He then began working for his father, but his training previous to this time had not been meager, in fact he worked so steadily in the field that perhaps his entire attendance at school would cover only about a complete year. So meager had been his educational privileges that after driving a lot of hogs to Cincinnati to market he was unable to figure up the profits. He worked with his father until his death and then took control of the large farm. which he contineud to cultivate and improve until his own death, owning eleven hundred and twenty-five acres. In early manhood he was united in marriage to Miss Mary Haughey, a native of Jefferson township, Greene county, and they became the parents of nine children, namely: Christopher, Stephen, John, Elijah, Mary, Thomas, Nancy J., and two who died in infancy. The father was again married, after the death of his first wife, his second union being with Miss Catherine Lockhart, a native of Silvercreek township, Greene county, the marriage being celebrated in 1838. In their family were the following children: Narcissa. Henry, Lydia Ann, Evelyn and Emma, twins, James. Albert, Flora, Joseph H., Catherine. Emma died in infancy. The father died March 8, 1872, and the mother November 4, 1900.
Joseph H. Hussey, whose name introduces this record, acquired his early education in the common schools of tlie village of Bowersville and later continued his studies in the private schools in the county and state, receiving much better educational privileges than were afforded to many boys of the time and locality. Later he began working for his father, to whom he gave his assistance until the death of his parent. The management of the home farm then devolved upon him and to its further development and improvement he has given his attention, he has since remodeled the house and barn and has placed many excellent improvements and accessories upon the old homestead, making it a valuable and attractive farm. For about four years he was engaged in the grocery business in Springfield, Ohio, but during the greater part of his life his attention has been given to agricultural pursuits. When the farm was originally purchased by his grandfather, Christopher Hussey, it contained twenty-seven hundred acres of land, but by division among the heirs and by sale, the present homestead of our subject has been reduced to one hundred and forty acres. At the time of the original purchase the land was bought for one dollar per acre and at the present time it is worth one hundred dollars per acre.
In the year 1879 Mr. Hussey was united in marriage to Miss Anna Hall, a native of Clinton county, Ohio, and to them have been born two children, Frank and Truman, both residing at home with their father. Mr. Hussey is a stanch Republican in politics when issues are involved, but at local elections, where the only question before the people is the capability of the candidate to discharge the business of town or county, he votes independently. He is a devout man of unquestioned honor and integrity and, with his wife, holds membership in the Christian church at Bowersville.
From History of Greene County, Ohio, by George F. Robinson (S. J. Clarke Publishing Co, 1902)