A fine farm of one hundred and twenty-five acres is the property of A. H. Beal and is located in Sugarcreck township, not far from Xenia. Mr. Beal was bom in Caesarscreek township, May 2, 1837. His father. George Beal. was a native of Pennsylvania and married Rachel Driscoll, who was born in this state and was of Irish lineage. With his parents the father came to Ohio in his boyhood and the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Beal was probably celebrated in Clark county, although they began their domestic life in Greene county, where all of their children were born. Throughout the years of his
business career the father carried on agricultural pursuits. He reached the verv advanced age of eighty-two years, passing away in 1875. He had had a limited education in his youth but he made the most of his opportunities and possessed that sterling honesty and worth of character which everywhere wins respect and confidence. He voted with the Danocracy. In the family were thirteen children, one of whom died at the age of thirteen years, while five of the number are still living.
A. H. Beal was the eleventh in order of birth and his youth was spent upon the home farm where, since old enough to handle the plow, he took his place in the fields assisting in the cultivation of various crops. In the winter months he managed to acquire a good education in the public schools. He worked for his father until be bad received enough to purchase a small farm of eighty-eight acres adjoining the old homestead and then he was married, seeking as a companion and helpmate for the journey of life Miss Keziah Jane Ary, the wedding taking place on the 30th of March, 1859. The lady resided near Paintersville. where she was born June 27, 1836, her parents being John and Margaret (Turner) Ary. Her father came to Ohio from Virginia. Her mother was of English descent and they were married
in Greene county.
After the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Beal they began their domestic life upon his farm which continued to be their home for six years, when he sold that property and purchased one hundred and sixty--six acres of land in Greene county. At different times he has purchased tracts of sixty, fifty-four, eleven and six acres, and in 1891 he removed to his present farm. Here he is successfully carrying on agricultural pursuits; his fields are well tilled and all modern equipments are found upon bis place, showing the owner to be a man of progressive spirit, who follows modern methods in caring for his property.
Unto Mr. and Mrs. Beal have been born seven children: Elias, who married Flora Hampton, is the assistant cashier in the bank at Bowersville. Samuel Lewis married Ertie Black, who died, leaving four children. Emma became the wife of Samuel Hollingwortb. who resides near Burlington, in Clinton county. Charles Elmer married Julia Darst, by whom he has four children, and their home is in Jefferson township. Melville F. married Delia Compton and resides in the village of Spring Valley, and Clinton P. completes the family. Mr. Beal was reared a Democrat and yet endorses the party. His wife is a member of the Methodist Protestant church. They are widely known in Greene county as worthy representatives of agricultural interests and their sterling characteristics are such as to obtain for them the warm regard of all with whom tlu'v have been associated.
From History of Greene County, Ohio, by George F. Robinson (S. J. Clarke Publishing Co, 1902)