The list of the leading citizens of Greene county contains the name of the Hon. Andrew Jackson, one of the representative and honored citizens of Cedarville. His record as a soldier, as an official and a business man has been so honorable that he has gained the confidence and good will of all with whom he has been brought in contact. His unbending integrity of character, his fearlessness in the discharge of his duties and his appreciation of the responsibilities that have rested upon him have been such as to make him a most acceptable incumbent in the office of assemblyman and in that of sergeant-at-arms in the house. He is filling the latter position at the present time and is one of the most popular men ever called to the office.
Mr. Jackson has back of him an ancestry honorable and distinguished. Many representatives of the family have attained state and some national importance in business affairs. in military life and in statesmanship. His great-grandfather was a brother of Andrew Jackson, the hero of the battle of New Orleans and later the president of the United States. Robert Jackson, the father of our subject, became prominent in public affairs of Greene county. He was commander of the militia forces of this county and in 1834 he represented this district in the state legislature. It was in the year 1805 that General Robert Jackson removed from Pennsylvania to Ohio, settling on Clark's Run, near a good spring, for in those days it was a valuable addition to a farm if there was a spring upon it. His place was three.miles west of Cedarville on the Jackson pike and is now known as the Stevenson farm. He was a man of soldierly bearing and commanding appearance. His commission as genera! bears date 1831. He filled local offices, including that of county commissioner of Greene cotmty, and was long a recognized leader in public thought and action. His death occurred when he was eighty years of age near Xenia. He was married, in December, 1819, to Miss Minerva J., a daughter of Philip Eddy, of Warren county and on horseback the bridal pair made their way to their new home in Greene county. An old bureau of cherry wood, which was a bridal present from her parents, is still in possession of our subject. Seven of the twelve children born of this marriage are still living.
Upon the home farm Andrew Jackson, of this review, spent his early boyhood days. He was born on Christmas day of 1845 and received his education in the common schools. At the age of thirteen years he went to Xenia and accepted a position in the dry-goods store of Merrick & Company and while living in Xenia he attended school. For two years he held a position as bookkeeper and served in that capacity until the fall of 1864, when he enlisted in the Union army, amused by a patriotic desire to aid in the preservation of the Union. He was then a boy not yet sixteen years of age and the only son at home. Because of this his mother would not consent to his departure and got a writ restraining him from going to the front. He then went with his brother-in-law to Michigan and entering his school there took up the study of civil engineering, in which his brother-in-law was very proficient. While carrying on his studies Mr. Jackson formed a company from his class, composed of boys all larger than himself, and drilled them in Hardie's tactics. From that company several commissioned officers were drawn later in the war.
Returning to his home the following spring Mr. Jackson again became connected with commercial circles of Xenia, but the fires of patriotism burned strongly within him and once more he offered his services to the government, becoming a member of Company H. Ninety-fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, August 8, 1862, the regiment being organized at Piqua. He took part in a number of engagements, among them being that of Tate's Ferry, in which the regiment lost over three hundred men. He was struck by a bullet in the left arm at the battle of Ferryville but he never left his company and afterward participated in the engagements at Stone River, Buzzard's Roost and those of the Atlanta campaign, including Chickamauga, Lookout Mountain, Mission Ridge, Resaca, Dallas, New Hope Church, Marietta. Peach Tree Creek and the siege at Atlanta. While at Murfreesboro, in 1863, Mr. Jackson was detailed as chief clerk in the office of the brigade inspector, acting in that capacity until he was granted a furlough in 1864. He was at home but fifteen days when he endeavored to rejoin his regiment but could get no farther than Nashville, Tennessee. There he reported for duty and was made chief clerk in the inspector's office there. He handled and issued all the ammunition to the troops, placed the pickets at their stations and performed other very important duties. When the war closed he was mustered out June 5, 1865, and returned to Xenia.
Not long after this Mr. Jackson accepted the position of assistant engineer with the Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton Railroad, with headquarters at Dayton, and among other work which he did for that road was the supervision of the building of the bridge at Lima, Ohio, of which he had full charge, and which is a piece of splendid mechanical engineering. Soon after he was made general ticket agent of the Cincinnati & Zanesville Railroad, with offices in Cincinnati, and for six years held that responsible position, also acting as paymaster and engineer. In the meantime he had married and his wife's people desired that they should return and make their home in Cedarville, for the lady's parents were reaching an advanced age and wished to have their daughter near them, and desired Mr. Jackson to assist her father in the care of his property interests. Accordingly thev became residents of this town. Mr. Jackson spent three years in Mr. Dunlap's lumber camp in Micliigan. where he had charge of the entire force of one hundred men and at the same time superintended the operation of his farm in this county. The lumber firm of which Mr. Dunlap was the senior member did the largest business in that line in Cincinnati and continued in existence for more than half a century. For some time the charge of the company's business in Cincinnati devolved upon our subject and he had full supervision of its immense trade in all its departments. Mr. Jackson is now interested in the breeding of stock, an industry which has claimed his attention for many years and is secretary of the building and loan association of Cedarville, which he organized six years ago.
On the 17th of March, 1868, Mr. Jackson was married in Cedarville to Miss Mary J. Dunlap. a daughter of James Dunlap, who came from Cincinnati to this county at an early day, settling in Cedarville township. He was in the lumber business in the former city, but lived retired here. He died at Cedarville, January 25, 1890, at the age of seventy-six years, while his wife passed away shortly after the marriage of our subject. Mrs. Jackson is a member of the United Presbyterian church and a most estimable lady. Unto our subject and his wife have been born four children: Pearl, who is the wife of R. G. George, the cashier and paymaster of the Chicago Belt Railroad, by whom she has one child, Marion; Frank, who is township clerk of Cedarville township and manager of the opera house in Cedarville; Clara, a teacher in the public schools of Cedarville; and Fanny, at home. All were born on the home place in Cedarville township.
Mr. Jackson is a recognized leader of the Republican partv in this county and his opinions carry weight in the councils of the organization. He was elected to represent his district in the sixty-eighth general assembly and filled the position so creditably that he was re-elected. He was chosen sergeant-at-arms in the seventieth, seventy-first, seventy-second, seventy-fourth and seventy-fifth assembllies. At the last election in 1902 he was the Republican caucus nominee by acclamation and received the entire vote of the assembly, both Democrats and Republicans,—a case unparalleled in the history of the stale legislature. He is holding some local offices, has been a member of the school board for twenty-one years, is now serving as its clerk, and is also filling the position of justice of the peace of Cedarville. He was a member of the Ohio Chickamauga commission that erected monuments on the battlefield. This appointment was made under the act of May 4, 1891, by the Ohio assembly, whereby eight commissioners were appointed by Governor J. E. Campbell, these being: Generals John Beatty, Ferdinand Vanderveer, C. H. Grosvenor and Aquilla Wiley, Hon. J. S. Gill, Hon. Andrew Jackson, Private Frederick Wendall and Captain J. C. McElroy. This commission was the first in the field and erected fifty-two monuments which were dedicated September 19. 1895, at the time of the national dedication on the anniversary of the battle. The commission spent four years in its labors. Mr. Jackson has a wide acquaintance among the public men of the state, as well as in Greene county and enjoys in high measure the warm regard of all and the friendship of many of the distinguished citizens of Ohio.
From History of Greene County, Ohio, by George F. Robinson (S. J. Clarke Publishing Co, 1902)