In the memorial annals of that part of Greene county comprised in what is now New Jasper township there is no name entitled to more respectful consideration than that of William Campbell Dean, who died at his home in that township in the summer of 1888, and two of whose daughters. Miss Letitia Dean and Mrs. Susan Ballard, are still living there. The house in which they are living on rural mail route No. 2 out of Xenia was erected by their grandfather, Robert Dean, in 1833. It was constructed of brick burnt on the place and finished throughout in walnut cut from the midst of the magnificent forest that then marked the place.
It has been noted elsewhere in this volume that the Deans are one of the oldest and most numerous families in this section of Ohio. The family had its beginning here in 1912, when Daniel Dean came up here from Kentucky with his family of eleven children and settled on a tract of eighteen hundred acres of land he had purchased along Caesarscreek. Daniel Dean was born in the village of Tubermore, Londonderry, in the north of Ireland, in 1766, son of Roger and Mary Dean, and was eighteen years of age when he came to this country in 1784, landing at the port of Philadelphia. For about four years after his arrival here he sojourned in Pennsylvania, Maryland and Virginia, "getting his bearings," and then went to Kentucky and bought a tract of land in the vicinity of Mt. Sterling, in Montgomery county. A couple of years later he sent back to Ireland for his mother, his father meanwhile having died, and a year later, in 1791, he married Janet Steele, who was born in Augusta county, Virginia, but who had moved with her parents into Kentucky, and after his marriage established his home on his land in the Mt. Sterling settlement, where he continued to live until 1812, when he disposed of his interests there and moved up here into the valley of the Little Miami and settled on the tract of land he had previously bought with a view to removing his family from the baleful influence of the institution of human slavery that had fastened itself upon the state of Kentucky. By this time his older sons were pretty well grown and it was not long until the Dean tract on Caesars creek began to be claimed from its wilderness state and as the children married homes also were established for them there. In that pioneer home on Caesars creek Daniel Dean's mother died on July 21, 1825, she then being eighty-six years of age. His wife died on November 28, 1841, and he died on January 24, 1843, all being buried in the burial ground he had established on his land and in which many others of the Deans have since been buried. In Kentucky Daniel Dean and his wife were affiliated with the Associate Reformed church, but upon coming up here put in their lot with that of the Associate congregation then being ministered to by the Rev. Robert Armstrong, there being here no congregation of their own communion, and were ever after active workers in the affairs of that congregation, as were their children. As noted above, there were eleven of these children, namely: Robert, the first-born, who was the father of William Campbell Dean, the subject of this memorial sketch; Mary C, who married James Moore: Janet S., who married Hugh Campbell; Elizabeth, who married James Campbell; Margaret, who married John Bickett; William, who married Catherine Shook; James, who married Elizabeth Pendray and moved to Delaware county, Indiana; Joseph, who married Hannah Boggs; Ann, who married Walter Perry; Daniel, who married Jane Campbell, and Julia, who married James Hopping. As all of these reared large families of their own, the numerous connection of the Dean family in the present generation is readily accounted for. It is worthy of note that thirty-six of the male descendants of the pioneer Daniel Dean served as soldiers of the Union during the Civil War.
Robert Dean, eldest son of Daniel and Janet (Steele) Dean, was born in the vicinity of Mt. Sterling, in Montgomery county, Kentucky, in 1792, and was about nineteen years of age when he came to Greene county with his father in 1812. Not long after coming here he enlisted his services in behalf of the struggle then going on between this country and England and served as a soldier of the War of 1812, under Capt. Robert McClellan, on a tour of duty to Ft. Wayne, over in the then Territory of Indiana. On January 8, 1818, he married EHzabeth Campbell, who was born in South Carolina and who had come to this country with her parents, Samuel and Elizabeth (English) Campbell, about the year 1815, the family settling on a tract of land in the wilderness on what is now known as the Jasper pike in New Jasper township. Samuel Campbell and his wife were born in County Antrim, Ireland, and were there married, not long afterward coming to this country and locating in South Carolina, whence they moved to Tennessee, where one of their sons, William Campbell, remained and established a home. They later moved up into Kentucky and after a sometime residence there moved up here and established their pennanent home. After his marriage Robert Dean established his home on a part of his father's land that had been given him and in 1833 erected there the brick house that has been referred to above. His wife, Elizabeth, died there on September 22, 1838, and he presently married Margaret Orr and continued to make his home there until his death on May 18, 1856. Meanwhile he had added to his land holdings. He was for years an elder in the congregation of the Associate Reformed church on Caesars creek. Robert Dean was the father of eighteen children, eleven of whom were born to his union with Elizabeth Campbell, namely: Daniel A., Samuel D., William C, Janet S., who married William Cooley; John D., Mrs. Elizabeth Harding, Robert Harvey, James Henry, who moved to Illinois; Andrew H., Joseph A. and Mary. Of these children, two are still living, Robert H. and Andrew H. By his marriage to Margaret Orr, Robert Dean was the father of seven children, namely: Albert, now deceased, who was a government inspector in the cattle yards at Kansas City; Eli, who is now living in the neighboring county of Warren; Milton, who died in infancy; Isaac, who also died in infancy; Cyrus, who is now a resident of Gibbon, Nebraska; Calvin, now a resident of Boulder, Colorado, and Mrs. Martha Ann Lackey, now deceased.
William Campbell Dean, third son of Robert and Elizabeth (Campbell) Dean, was born on the old Dean home place in what is now New Jasper township, but which then was a part of the original township of Caesarscreek, July 24, 1822, and there grew to manhood. He received his schooling in the neighborhood schools and as a young man went to Tennessee, where for eighteen months he was employed as a guard in the state penitentiary at Nashville. Upon his return home he married and became engaged in the grocery business in partnership with his brother Daniel at Xenia, the brothers opening at the northeast corner of Main and Detroit streets, now occupied by the Steele building, the first store for the exclusive sale of groceries ever opened in Xenia. For four years Mr. Dean continued thus engaged and then he sold his interest in the store to his brother and moved down into Clinton county, where he was engaged in farming for three years, at the end of which time he returned to Greene county and bought the interests of the other heirs in his father's old home place, then comprising one hundred and eighty-four acres, and there established his permanent home, spending the rest of his life there, his death occurring there on August 27, 1888, he then being one month over sixty-six years of age. His widow survived him for more than eight years, her death occurring on February 13, 1897, she then being seventy-six years of age. She was born, Susan Janney, in Loudoun county, Virginia, daughter of Stephen and Letitia (Taylor) Janney, Quakers (the Janneys having become established as a family in this country with the establishment of William Penn's colony), both of whom were born in that same county, where they were married, and who came to Ohio in 1831 and settled in the Springboro neighborhood, in Warren county, where Susan Janney was living at the time of her marriage to William C. Dean on October 23, 1851. To that union were born five children, namely: Letitia E., unmarried, who is still living on the old home place, which she owns jointly with her sister, Mrs. Ballard; Anna, now living at Indianapolis and who has been twice married, her first husband having been William Hazelrigg and her second, William Baldock; William A., a retired farmer, now living at Columbus, Indiana, and a biographical sketch of whom is presented elsewhere in this volume; Charles S., now living at Xenia, and a biographical sketch of whom also is presented elsewhere in this volume, and Susan, who married Edgar T. Ballard and is still living on the old home place which she owns jointly, as noted above, with her sister, Miss Letitia Dean, Mr. Ballard having charge of the operation of the farm. Miss Letitia Dean and her sister are members of the Friends church.
William Campbell Dean was reared in the Associate Reformed church, but after the "union" of 1858 became affiliated with the congregation of the United Presbyterian church on the banks of the north branch of Caesars creek, half a mile north of the Jamestown road. Reared a Whig, he became a Republican upon the organization of the latter party and for years served as township trustee.
From History of Greene County Ohio, Its People, Industries and Institutions, vol. 2. M.A.Broadstone, editor. B.F.Bowen & Co., Indianapolis. 1918