Dr. Harry Alaram Cosler, physician at Fairfield, where he has been located since the summer of 1905, is a native son of Greene county and has lived here most of his life, the exception being the period of three years during which he was engaged in practice at North Hampton, up in the adjoining county of Clark. He was born on a farm in the vicinity of Yellow Springs on May 4, 1873, posthumous child of Abram B. Cosler, who died on March 8, 1873, and of his wife, Susan V. (Stutsman) Cosier, who survived her husband many years, her death occurring on May 28, 1911.

Abram B. Cosier, who was a veteran of the Civil War, was born on a farm in Beavercreek township, this county, and his wife also was a native of this county, born in Bath township. Reared as a farmer, Abram B. Cosier was engaged in that vocation all his life. During the progress of the Civil War he enlisted his services in behalf of the cause of the Union and went to the front as a member of the One Hundred and Fifty-fourth Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Upon the completion of his military service he returned to this county and resumed farming, after his marriage locating on a farm in Beavercreek township, where he resided four years, and then moved to near Yellow Springs, where he died, as noted above, in the spring of 1873, a little less than two months before his second son, the subject of this sketch, was born. To him and his wife was born another son, Samuel S. Cosler, who was serving as deputy county treasurer under John Nesbit, at the time of his death at Xenia in 1897.

About three years after the death of her husband Mrs. Cosler moved fiom the farm to Yellow Springs and it was in that village that Harry A. Cosler grew to manhood. He was graduated from the high school there when sixteen years of age and then entered Antioch College, which he attended for three years, at the end of which time he entered Ohio Wesleyan University at Delaware, from which institution he was graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Science in 1897. Three years later he received from that college the degree of Master of Arts. Upon the declaration of war on the part of this country against Spain in the spring of 1897 he enlisted his services and went to the front as sergeant of Company K, Fourth Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, with which command he served until the close of the war, being mustered out on January 20, 1899. In September of that same year he entered Ohio Medical College at Columbus and continuing his studies there was graduated in 1902 with the degree of Doctor of Medicine. Upon receiving his diploma Doctor Cosler opened an office at North Hampton, in the neighboring county of Clark, beginning his practice there in June, 1902, and continued thus engaged for three years, at the end of which time he moved back down into Greene county and opened an office at Fairfield, beginning his practice there on June 27, 1905, and has ever since made that his place of residence. Doctor Cosler is a member of the Greene County Medical Society and of the Ohio State Medical Society. Fraternally, the Doctor is a Scottish Rite Mason, affiliated with the consistory at Dayton; and is a member of tlie local lodges of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and of the Knights of Pythias.

On December 29, 1903, while living at North Hampton. Dr. Harry A. Cosler was united in marriage to Emma Myers, of Dialton, a few miles north of North Hampton, and to this union one child has been born, a daughter, Mary Elizabeth, born on November 4, 1910. Doctor and Mrs. Cosier are members of the Reformed church.

 

 

From History of Greene County Ohio, Its People, Industries and Institutions, vol. 2. M.A.Broadstone, editor. B.F.Bowen & Co., Indianapolis. 1918