James K. Campbell was born in Stark County, Ohio, in 1828, a son of John and Margaret (Bell) Campbell. His father was a native of Ireland, and was brought to America when a child, by his parents, who located in Washington County, Penn., where he was reared. After his marriage, in 1810, he moved to Massillon, Ohio, where his wife died, and the children were then taken back to Pennsylvania. They had a family of ten children, eight of whom lived to maturity: Parker, Duncan, J. B., Reason, Hiram, Alfred, and James K. and Margaret (twins). The mother died when the twins were but one day old, and they were taken by an aunt, with whom they lived until manhood and womanhood.
James K. Campbell was married in 1851 to Mary A., daughter of John B. and Mary (Morgan) Brown, and to them were born eight children: Melinda, Mary, Addie, Marshall, Arthur W., Annie, Maggie, and Emma. Mr. Campbell commenced life a poor man, but was possessed of a superabundance of energy and perseverance, and became a successful farmer, owning 160 acres of finely improved land. He was public spirited and enterprising, respected by all who knew him. He died in 1884. Mrs. Campbell and her children live on the homestead, the work of the farm being superintended by her son Arthur W., a promising young man of excellent abilities, and popular in the community in which he lives. The family are members of the Disciples Church.
Holmes County History 1889