John Anderson, one of the early settlers of Holmes County, was born in Allegheny County, Penn., in 1797, and died in 1880. He came to Holmes County in 1840, and settled in Monroe Township on the farm now owned by his son Franklin P. He first bought about 150 acres, for which he paid $3 an acre, and added to this tract from time to time, until he owned at the time of his death over 400 acres. Mr. Anderson was twice married, his first wife being Emma Allison, who born him four children. In 1835 he married Isabel, a daughter of the late Col. Joseph McCabe, of Pennsylvania, and the fifth in a family of seven children. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson had a family of six children: Margaret, William McCabe, Amy, Caroline, Joseph and Franklin. Of these Joseph married Miss Mary Brink, and died in 1884, leaving two children: Guy and Benard F.; William McCabe served in the war of the Rebellion, enlisting in 1861. The family are members of the Christian Church, and in politics are Democratic.
Biographical Record of Holmes County, 1889