W. W. Fellows, retired merchant, P. O. West Jefferson, is a son of Ebenezer Fellows, who was a native of Hanover, N. H., where he followed farming through life. His wife was Deborah Ross, sister to Isaac Ross, who is the father of Editor George E. Ross, of London, Ohio. Of Ebenezer's seven children, three are yet living, all residents of Madison County, Ohio, viz., Isabelle, wife of W. H. Chandler; Arabelle, twin sister to Isabelle, and wife of J. Swetland, and the subject of this sketch, who is the youngest of the three. He was born in Plainfield, N. H., in 1818, and was raised and educated in his native State, where he imbibed the principals of farming, but, in 1830, came to Jefferson, Madison County, where, for three years, he was engaged in the mercantile trade. In 1839, he took his stock to Marysville, Union County, where, after one year's experience, he sold out and began clerking in London. In the latter town, he bought out his brother Harvey's stock, in 1848, and formed a partnership with his brother-in-law, W. H. Chandler. Three years later, he took the total responsibility of the store upon himself, and conducted it until 1858, when he sold to Jonathan Arnett, and was induced to take his sons to the farm, in Oak Run Township. After an agricultural life of nine years, he located in Jefferson, and, with his son T. B., engaged in the dry goods trade, but, in 1872, he retired, leaving the business to his son, who is now doing a fair business. Since 1872, he has devoted most of his time to his farm, near Jefferson, where he still resides. In 1839, while engaged in business in Marysville, he married Lydia Hebbard, a native of Maryland, who was born in 1823. The issue of this union was thirteen children, three of whom died in early life, three when nearly grown, and seven are still living, viz., T. Byron; W. W., Jr., minister, of Michigan; Ida L., of Columbus, Ohio; Lucy, of Lebanon, Ohio; Eugene, attorney of Muskegon, Mich.; Ada L., of London, and Villa A. Mr. Fellows, though not possessing an extra education himself appreciates the value of that important feature, and has given his children school privileges, by which they are enabled to mostly earn their own livelihood. The total expenditure on their education was about $16,000. He now owns about 300 acres in the vicinity of Jefferson.

 

From HISTORY OF MADISON COUNTY - W. H. Beers [Chicago, 1883]