William H. Chandler, Sr., a prominent retired merchant, London, was born at Hanover, N. H., April 19, 1814. His father, Henry H. Chandler, was born in Pomfret, Conn., June 14, 1786. In early life he learned the trade of a wool-carder, and subsequently that of a cabinet-maker. He married Anne Wright, born at Hanover. N. H., May 20, 1790. The former died November 20, 1869, aged eighty-three years, and the latter May 1, 1875, aged eighty-five years. W. H. Chandler was the second child and first son of a family of six children, three yet living, and received only a limited education. When twenty-one years of age, he secured a situation as a clerk in a retail store, and two years later went to Charlestown, now a suburb of Boston, Mass., securing a position as keeper in the McLane Insane Asylum, which he filled for three years. He then went to East Cambridge, not far distant, and again engaged as clerk. In 1839, he came to Columbus. Ohio, obtaining a situation as clerk in a drug house. He-was subsequently employed as keeper in the Ohio Insane Asylum, remaining in that position until 1843. He then came to London, and after clerking for some time, started in the grocery business on West High street, opposite the court house, but shortly after sold out to "Uncle Ben Tinder." During the succeeding year, he was engaged in farming, and May 2, 1844, married Isabella Fellows, born in Hanover, N. H., February 5, 1816. Some time after marriage, he went to Washington C. H., Fayette Co., Ohio, and, with Nathan Blodgett was engaged in mercantile pursuits for three years, tinder the firm name of Chandler & Blodgett. He then sold his interest to his partner, and upon his return to London formed a partnership with W. W. Fellows, the firm continuing business for seven years. At the expiration of this time, Mr. C. again sold his individual interest in the business. Subsequently, with Jeriah Swetland, he engaged in business at Mt. Sterling, in Pleasant Township, this county. Three years later the stock was sold to Benjamin Leach, and the firm of Swetland & Chandler removed to London, and there continued business until both agreed to retire. The partnership is yet to be dissolved. Mr. Chandler was a merchant for twenty-one years, and gained quite a competence. He is the owner of sixty-eight acres of land in the corporate limits of London, and resides in the northeastern part of the village. He has been a Democrat in politics, and for two terms served as County Treasurer. He has also held the offices of Councilman and member of the School Board in the village. He is connected by membership with Chandler Lodge, No. 138 (Masonic), and the Presbyterian Church. Mr. and Mrs. Chandler have three children -- Anna, William H., Jr., and Harvey F. Mrs. Chandler is a member of the M. E. Church. Will H. Chandler, Jr., the oldest son, was born in London November 4, 1848. He grew to manhood in his native place, receiving a good English education. In early life he was a clerk for his father and Jeriah Swetland, remaining with them till they sold out. On March 1, 1873, he purchased the stock and trade of Z. T. Graham, book seller, and has since conducted that business, meeting with fair success. Mr. Chandler is one of London's most enterprising business men, and a member of the Masonic fraternity. He has always been an active Democrat. He was Trustee of Union Township three or four terms, has been Treasurer of London corporation six years, and is a member of the County Democratic Central Committee. Mr. Chandler was married to Annie, daughter of S. H. Cartzdafner, grocer, of London. Of their six children two are living -- Edward W. and Wright. Mrs. Chandler is a member of the Presbyterian Church. Harvey F. Chandler, the youngest son of William H., was born in London August 6, 1854. Like his brother, he grew up in London, being educated in its public schools. When nineteen years of age, he went to Enfield, N. H., and was there employed by Dodge, Davis & Co., woolen manufacturers. He remained one year, and then returned to London. where he soon after accepted a position with John Kinney, dry goods. He remained in this business about sixteen months, and then came to his present position, with his brother Will, in the book store. He was married. December 21, 1881, to Emma, daughter of John Jones, a retired grocer of London.

 

From HISTORY OF MADISON COUNTY - W. H. Beers [Chicago, 1883]