Dr. J. H. Carpenter, physician and merchant, Plain City, was born in Delaware County, Ohio, November 27, 1831. In addition to the common schools of his native county, he attended Wesleyan University at Delaware, Ohio, after which he took a course in Starling 'Medical College of Columbus, Ohio. He then attended the Ohio Medical College of Cincinnati, from which he graduated in 1865. He commenced practicing in his native county, where he remained three years, then spent two years in Marion County, and, in 1869 came to Plain City, where he has since remained. In 1851, he married Catharine Andrews, by whom he had two children – Charles H. and Lellie K. She died in 1803, and in 1870 he married L. Jennie, daughter of Asa Converse. Dr. Carpenter is a Republican in politics, and has served his village as member of School Board. His grandfather was the first white settler in Delaware County, locating in 1801, on 300 acres of land, which is still in the possession of the family, being now occupied by a grandson of the old settler. In coming to Ohio, they descended the Ohio River to Portsmouth, and then embarked in canoes, and, by means of poles, pushed their way up to Delaware County, a distance of 120 miles. The grandfather was killed by being thrown from his horse down a steep embankment. He was a Captain in the Revolutionary war, and one of the pistols used by him in that struggle is now in possession of our subject. It is an old-fashioned horse pistol, with a flint lock, and, though now much the worse for wear, seems to have been a handsome weapon.

 

From HISTORY OF MADISON COUNTY - W. H. Beers [Chicago, 1883]