George B. Cannon, attorney at law, office with Mayor Bruce P. Jones, was born in Pickaway County, Ohio, January 11, 1851. His father, Matthew W. Cannon, was a native of Maryland, and accompanied his parents, Jesse and Margaret Cannon, to Ross County, when a small child. He was a farmer by occupation, and resided in Pickaway County until 1859, when he removed to Madison County, and now resides at Mt. Sterling, in the Seventy-second year of his age. He married Mary A. Lister, a native of Ross County, Ohio, and daughter of William Lister. He was a resident of both Ross and Madison Counties, and a man of great physical endurance; he died in 1877, at the remarkable age of one hundred and four years. He lived under the administrations of all the Presidents, up to the time of his death, and walked two miles to cast his vote for Samuel J. Tilden. Mr. and Mrs. Cannon were the parents of twelve children, nine living. Mrs. Cannon departed this life February 26, 1872. Our subject was the eighth child of this family, and was seven years of age when his parents removed to Madison County. His educational facilities were rather limited, his time being taken up in assisting his father on the farm until his twentieth year. His principle education was obtained in the hours between farm labor and retiring for the night. When twenty-one years of age, he taught the "Maxey School," in Paint Township, and was engaged in that profession for about eight years. During this time, he commenced the study of law, and in 1874, came to London and entered the law office of R. A. Harrison, and subsequently that of George Lincoln. He was admitted to the bar April 24, 1878, and afterward taught school for one year. Mr. Cannon has met with fair success in his law practice. He is a member of Chandler Lodge, No. 138, Masonic, and the Knights of Pythias. Politically, his views are in strict accordance with those of the Democratic party. He once served as Clerk of Paint Township. Mr. Cannon was married, on "Thanksgiving Day" of 1878, to Laura J., daughter of John T. Maxey (deceased). They have two daughters—Mary E. and Georgia B.

 

 

From HISTORY OF MADISON COUNTY - W. H. Beers [Chicago, 1883]