EMANUEL DEARDORFF, Bucyrus, is the son of Jacob and Barbara (Myers) Deardorff and was born Nov. 6, 1805, in York Co., Penn. He removed with his father to Cumberland Co, when but 2 years old. Two years later his father died and he lived on a farm with his uncle for ten years, when he commenced working by the month. He continued at this for two years, and, in his 17th year, went into a tannery owned by James Davidson, and served an apprenticeship of three and a half years. He then worked in Philadelphia for one year and also at other points. In the fall of 1827, in company with his brother-in-law, George Myers, he came to this county in a wagon drawn by one horse, and at Pittsburgh, owing to the roads, they had to leave their bedding. On their arrival here, he bought 38 acres of land at $10 per acre, and started a tannery. He then returned to Pennsylvania, and on March 13, 1828, he married Elizabeth Howenstine, of Cumberland Co. In the June following they started with a team for his new home in this county, and arrived here after a journey of fifteen days and settled on West Mansfield street, where his tannery was situated. Here he lived, and continued his business until 1852, when he sold out and engaged in running a steam saw-mill for the next eight years. He then traded for 200 acres of land in Whetstone Township and engaged in farming for ten years. In 1870, he came to Bucyrus, where he has since lived in retirement from business. His wife died in June, 1867, and while on a visit to Pennsylvania in 1869, he was married to Miss Catharine Scoby, of Carlisle. Eleven children are living of the first marriage: Eliza, now Mrs. Wise, of Bucyrus; John, a miner of California; Jacob; Ellen, now Mrs. Dumbaugh, of Marion; Rebecca, of Bucyrus; Christopher and Alexander, of Portland, Ore.; Mrs. Martha Bogun, of this county; Barbara, at home; George; stone-cutter, of Bucyrus, and Mary. Mr. Deardorff is a member of the Lutheran Church. He was a Democrat until the days of Fremont, since which time he has been a Republican. They were two of the old pioneers of Crawford Co., whose names will ever be linked with the early history, hardships and privations so little known and feebly comprehended by the present generation. Mrs. Deardorff, who has gone forever from the scenes of so many trials and heartaches, is still remembered by her children and friends as a lady whose portrait is in every way worthy to grace the pages of this tale of the pioneers. Mr. Deardorff still resides in Bucyrus, where he is well known as an old and honored citizen, whose name and reputation are above reproach.
From History of Crawford County and Ohio, Baskin & Battey, Historical Publishers, Chicago, 1881