SAMUEL GARNER, blacksmith, Bucyrus; son of William and Sarah (Cook) Garner, was born Feb. 30, 1818, in Pittsburgh, Penn. He went to school there until his 15th year, and then commenced learning black smithing with John Stewart, serving three rears, when he purchased a set of tools and started a shop at Sharpsburg, Penn., where he continued for ten years with good success. His next point was in Athens Co., Ohio, where he purchased a farm of 105 acres and farmed. also working, at his trade. He lived here ten years, and in September, 1864, came to Bucyrus, where, for three years, he was the partner of his brother William. His next partnership was with Van Rinkle, and their union lasted some two years. Since then Mr. Garner has been working alone, assisted by his son. He has occupied his present shop for fifteen years. It is situated on Sandusky avenue, where he is doing a prosperous business, repairing and horse shoeing. He was married in July 1844, to Miss Margaret Bougher, of Bakerstown, Penn. Of this marriage. there were five children-John, Amelia, Sarah, Mary and William. John was the victim of a fatal accident in the spring of 1876. While living at Delaware, Ohio, engaged in the study of medicine with Dr. E. H Hyatt a large flag-stone over a cavity under the pavement broke and falling with it, one-half crushed him, and he died soon after. He was a young man, and held in high esteem, and left a wife and family to mourn his sad and untimely loss. His first wife dying Mr. Garner was remarried July 9, 1857 . to Miss Della Chapman, of Athens Co., Ohio, a woman of fine mind. and more than ordinary intelligence. possessing, the most desirable qualities as a wife and mother. Of this marriage there are six children-James, Isabel, Charles. Nettie, Carrie and Samuel. Mr. Garner has been a hardworking. industrious, as well as a successful business man. He is a member and class leader in the Methodist Church and has always been a Republican.
From History of Crawford County and Ohio, Baskin & Battey, Historical Publishers, Chicago, 1881