Silas Gundrum, a representative citizen and leading farmer of Crawford county, was born in Berks county, Pennsylvania, on the 14th of January, 1830, a son of John and Charlotte Fogle Gundrum. The father was also a native of the Keystone state, his birth occurring about 1797, and his father came from the fatherland to the United States. John Gundrum learned the blacksmith's trade early in life, but later devoted his time and attention to agricultural pursuits. About 1834 he came to Crawford county, Ohio, and about six months later located in Bucyrus township, where he purchased the farm of eighty acres on which our subject now resides. This place was then covered with native timber with the exception of about three acres, which had been cleared by a Mr. Cox, the former owner, and to this tract the father afterward added another eighty acres adjoining the place on the south and which is now owned by Lewis Heller. Thus he became the owner of one hundred and sixty acres of land, which he improved and placed under a fine state of cultivation, and he became known as one of the substantial and reliable citizens of the township. He passed to his final reward in 1862. He was an active supporter of the Democratic ticket and was a stanch member of the Lutheran church. His wife survived him but a few months, when she, too, passed away in death. Mr. and Mrs. Gundrum became the parents of sixteen children, seven of whom still survive, namely: Henry, a resident of Richland county, Ohio; Pasetta, wife of Arthur Cleland, of this county; Sarah, the wife of Isaac Cole, of Richland county, Ohio; Lovina, wife of Henry Cloyd, of Missouri; Michael, who resides in Steuben county, Indiana; Rebecca, wife of James Smith, of Tiffin, Ohio; and Silas, the subject of this review. The latter was reared to manhood in the place of his nativity, there acquiring a limited education in the old pioneer log school house of his neighborhood. In 1856 he came to Bucyrus, Ohio, and learned the cabinet-maker's trade, but after two years spent in the city his father purchased his eighty-acre tract and, wishing the son to assist him in its cultivation, the latter located on that place, and in 1860 he and his brother Henry took charge of the farm, conducting the same on the shares. After the father's death Silas purchased the home farm and the brother became the owner of the adjoining eighty acres. On this place our subject has ever since continued to make his home and his efforts in his chosen vocation have been attended with a high and well merited degree of success. His fields are under a fine state of cultivation, everything about the place being neat and thrifty in its appearance, and its owner stands among the foremost agriculturists of Crawford county. On the 27th of June, 1861, Mr. Gundrum was united in marriage to Miss Lovina Buck, a native of Licking county, Ohio, and a daughter of John Buck. Unto this union have been born eight children, as follows: John, a resident of Polk township, Crawford county; William, at home; Anna, deceased; Joseph, who resides in Sandusky township, this county; Margaret, the wife of Albert Heller, of Sandusky township; Silans and Emma, twins, and both now deceased; and Frank, who is still under the parental roof. Mr Gundrum is a staunch supporter of the principles of the Democracy and is also a zealous member of the United Brethren church.
From A Centennial and Biographical History of Crawford County, Ohio, Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago, 1902