Luke Dewey Johnson
Luke Dewey Johnson and his wife Hannah King Johnson were living in their native town in Pittsfield, Mass., when in 1855 they decided to come west.
They settled in Newburgh where Mrs. Johnson died. Luke D. Johnson then married Louisa Ely, daughter of Merrick and Louisa Farnum Ely. She lived but a short time, and Mr. Johnson married 3d her sister Lucinda Ely. The latter was but nine years of age when her parents removed from Deerfield, O., to Newburgh. She was educated at a private school on Prospect street, and one in Elyria, after which she taught school at Doan's Corners, boarding meanwhile with Mr. and Mrs. Miller Spangler.
After her marriage, Mrs. Johnson's home was on Lake street. Within a few years the family moved to the Ely farm on Kinsman Road, where Mr. Johnson died. He was buried in Erie street cemetery. Mrs. Lucinda Johnson after long years of absence from this farm recently built a pretty home on it for herself and to be near her children who occupy adjoining bungalows. She was a member of the First Methodist Church when its congregation worshiped on St. Clair street. She lived to be very aged, but her faculties were preserved to a remarkable degree. Few people had such vivid memories of bygone days, or had witnessed such wonderful changes in the city's growth and population; fields and meadows where once horses and cattle grazed, or where wheat and corn swayed in the wind, now closely built up streets of houses or business blocks.
The children of Luke D. and Lucinda Ely Johnson: Merrick E. Johnson, m. Louisa Moreau, granddaughter of the pioneer Thomas Rummage. Mr. Johnson is a well-known business man of the city. Louisa Johnson, m. Major Charles H. Smith (recently deceased).
Mrs. Smith has long been a useful society and club woman. She is a member of the Western Reserve Chapel D.A.R., state regent of the society, War of 1812, and assistant historian of the Woman's Department Cleveland Centennial Commission. Her three married daughters, cultured and charming women, reside near their mother.
From The Pioneer Families of Cleveland 1796-1840, vol. 1 by Gertrude Van Rensselaer Wickham, Evangelical Publishing House, 1914