James William Jackson
James William Jackson, general farmer and well-known citizen ol Scioto Township, was born in Fauquier County, Virginia, November 10, 1853, and is a son of John S. and Dorothy Ann (Wilkins) Jackson.
The father of Mr. Jackson was also a native of Fauquier County, Virginia. He was a cooper by trade but after coming to Ohio in 1857, he followed general farming and the raising of livestock. The first year after coming to Scioto Township, John S. Jackson resided at what is now called Eagleville. He died at the age of sixty-one years. He married Dorothy Ann Wilkins. who was also a native of Virginia. Her death took place when she was sixty-two years old. They had the following children: George T., now residing in Nebraska: John S., a resident of Montana: Medora, who married Asa Franklin; Virginia F., now deceased, who was the wife of Perry Erwin, of Berlin Township: James William, subject of this sketch: and Richard H. L.. residing in Scioto Township. Both parents died in 1876. They were held in high esteem in their community and were valued members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. For over twelve years John S. Jackson was a justice of the peace.
James William Jackson remained on the home farm until his marriage, and then moved to Rush Township, Champaign County, where he was engaged in farming for four years. He then resided in New Dover, Union County, for a few years, and later in Jackson Township, Union County, thence going to Little Prairie Township, Marion County, and later again to Jackson Township. He then settled on the old Bird farm in Scioto Township, which he continued to operate for six years. In 1900, he came to his present farm, which contains fifty-five acres, forty of which he has under a fine state of cultivation. He raises stock, making a specialty of hogs, and grows, corn, oats, wheat and hay. November 11. 1880, Mr. Jackson married Mary Bird, who is a daughter of Abner Johnson and Catherine (Newhouse) Bird. On both sides Mr. Jackson belongs to prominent and substantial old families of this section. Her mother. Catherine Newhouse. born January 22. 1831, in Scioto Township, was married to Abner Johnson Bird, August 14, 1856, and died January 5, 1885.
She (Catherine) was a daughter of William Newhouse. who was born in Pickaway County, Ohio, March 11, 1800, and came with his parents to Delaware County in May. 1814. On January 6, 1823. he married Annie Richey, who was a daughter of William Richey. They settled on the banks of a river near Bellpoint, later moved to Union County but subsequently returned to Delaware County and settled on the farm now owned by John R. Newhouse. in Scioto Township. They had eleven children: Mary K., David Emery, Belinda. John R., Catherine, Nancy Jane, Adam. Joseph, William Lafayette. James H., and Isaac. William Newhouse died December 6, 1842. He served as township trustee. He possessed mechanical genius, but followed agriculture as his life occupation. He constructed the first wagon ever made in this section and made many articles of household furniture.
Anthony Newhouse. father of William, was born in London County, Virginia, February 10, 1772. He was about four years old when his father enlisted for service in the Revolutionary war. When he was eight his father died in the army, and Anthony remained with his widowed mother and assisted her in rearing the family. In 1794 he offered his services to suppress what is known in history as the Whiskey Rebellion, and remained in the military service for six months, going as far as Fort Pitt, and afterwards returning to Loudon County. In 1798 be went to Wheeling. West Virginia, where be remained for six months, thence going to an old red stone fort, the locality being now in Fayette County. Pennsylvania. There be met Nancy Coons, to whom he was married March 28, 1799. From there, with bis father-in-law, John Coons and family, and Henry More, he moved to Pickaway County. Ohio, this being in the early part of 1800, and settled on Scipio Creek, in Salt Creek Township. The place he chose was one which the Indians had cleared and somewhat cultivated, but the surroundings were still wild in a large degree. The nearest settlements were Chillicothe and Lancaster, the former thirteen and the latter eighteen miles distant. The little band of settlers constructed cabins close together on the banks of Scipio Creek, with an eye to protection from the Indians, who were almost daily visitors. At this time the country was yet unsurveyed, all of it being Government land. The settlers subsisted on corn brought on horseback from Marietta, together with game which was plentiful. As there were no mills, native ingenuity had to fashion domestic utensils to take the place of that almost necessary concomitant of civilization. What was called a mortar was made out of a sawed-off piece of log. eighteen inches in diameter and two feet long. An iron wedge was fastened on a strong stick, sometimes on a well-sweep, and the corn was pounded by this force in the scooped out end of the log until it was fairly reduced to meal, which was then fanned with a turkey wing until it was reasonably clear of chaff. It was then converted into bread and was the staff of life on which our pioneer forefathers were fed.
In 1812, Anthony Newhouse enlisted from Pickaway County, in John Boggs' company, under, command of General Tupper. and they proceeded to Fort Defiance, to repulse the Indians. One night, while they were on the way. they were surprised by a band of Indians, one of whom struck Anthony Newdiouse's horse on the thigh, making a deep, bad wound. The poor animal made its way back to Pickaway County on three legs. Mr. Newhouse was discharged at Urbana, Ohio. In January. 1814, be sold his farm of 160 acres in Pickaway County and bought 200 acres in Seioto Township from Henry Massie, of Chillicothe, paying two dollars an acre. His first journey to this section was made under very uncomfortable circumstances, involving the fording of Mill Creek in cold weather, and the consequent freezing of his clothes on his body. In the following May he started back to Scioto Township, accompanied by his family, and bringing with him three cattle and three horses. Some of the descendants of these transferred live stock are now owned by John R. Newhouse.
The children of Mr. and Mrs. Jackson are three in number—Lenna Fay, Strother Bird and James Arthur. Mrs. Jackson was reared in the Presbyterian Church and she is an active member of the old stone church of South Radnor. Mr. Jackson takes no very active interest in politics, although he votes as his lather did, with the Democratic party, but he is ever ready to perform the duties of a good citizen.
From 20th Century History of Delaware County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens by James R. Lytle