Sidney Moore, who was for nearly sixty years connected with the banking interests of Delaware County, for the last twenty-four years of that time up to his death in 1907 being president of the Delaware County National Bank, was born in what is now the city of Delaware, December 16, 1821. His parents were Sidney and Phoebe (Mann) Moore, both natives of Vermont, who came to Delaware County from the vicinity of Brattleboro, that State, in pioneer fashion, but previous to their marriage, Sidney Moore being the first arrival. He was born March 16, 1788, and was a young man when he thus set out to better his fortunes in what was then the far west. In his native State he had been closely identified with military affairs, having served as ensign, lieutenant, and captain in the First Regiment of Vermont militia. In Ohio he was subsequently commissioned as lieutenant-colonel and as brigadier-general, in later life being usually known as General Moore. In Delaware County he held civil office as sheriff, recorder and auditor successively, always performing his public duties to the satisfaction of his fellow citizens.
His wife Phoebe, who was born near Brattleboro. Vermont, January 3, 1795 and who was therefore nearly seven years his junior, came to Delaware County with her parents, they settling in the vicinitv of Westfield. By her marriage with Mr. Moore she became the mother of three children, namely : Emily, Sidney, and William. Emily, who was born in Delaware. February 8, 1819, became the wife of Stephen Stone and accompanied her husband to Nebraska, where she died. William, born May 2, 1835, in Delaware, is still a resident of this place, having always made his home here. Sidney Moore, the elder, father of the above mentioned children, died at the age of about seventy-eight years. His wife long survived him. passing away in December, 1887, when lacking but fifteen days of being ninety-three years old. They were worthy and much respected people, who well performed their part in life, and whose children were living testimonials to a careful upbringing.
Sidney Moore, Jr.. the direct subject of this sketch, was born in the family residence on the northeast corner of Sandusky and Winter Streets, the site of the house being now occupied by Smith's Clothing store. He began his education in the local schools and continued it in the Academy until he had mastered the essentials of a sound English training. Even at this early day he had a keen appreciation of the value of time, and applied himself closely to his studies, as he did later throughout his life, to his business duties. He early felt attracted towards banking as a congenial sphere of activity, and having acquired a knowledge of bookkeeping, he sought and found employment with banking institutions, in addition to his local connections, being employed for some three years in banks in Marion. Ohio, and Indianapolis. Indiana. The greater part of his business career, however, was spent in his native city. He became teller and bookkeeper for the Delaware County branch of the State Bank of Ohio, which began business in 1845, and later became its cashier. He was made cashier of the Delaware County National Bank, January 13, 1865, and continued in that capacity until January 8. 1883, at which time he was elected president of the bank, a position that he held for the rest of his life.
Mr. Moore began his business career on a salary of $200 per year. In those days business was conducted upon very conservative lines, and promotion was slow; but he possessed in large measure the qualities that compel success, and having chosen for his goal an honorable position in the business world, he pressed forward with determination and never looked back until he had attained it, and was recognized by his fellow townsmen as one of the leading factors in the business life and prosperity of Delaware. He was for sixty-two years identified with the Delaware County Bank, with the exception of the three years in Marion and Indianapolis above referred to, and after he had demonstrated his capacity, and had been elected president of the institution, his advice was eagerly sought by many of the men who had then or have since attained prominence in the business life of the community. Not a few of them today attribute their success to his wise counsel or ready help, which was never withheld from those worthy of it. He seldom mistook his man. being a quick reader of character, and to have obtained his assistance was in itself almost a certificate of capacity and integrity. In matters aside from business, but connected with the moral and material development of his native city, his name was for many years a synonym for charily, philanthropy and benevolence. Among his many charitable deeds may be mentioned his donation of the Home for Aged People, located on East William Street. Delaware.
Mr. Moore was a prominent Free Mason, belonging to Hiram Lodge, No. 18 of Delaware, and having attained the Thirty-third degree in the order. As a token of his high regard for the Order he donated to it the splendid Temple on West William Street, which is as well an ornament to the city as an evidence of the liberal spirit and devotion of the donor. In politics he was a Republican, but never sought public office. It was Mr. Moore's character to be thorough and concentrated. He held that it was better to do one thing thoroughly and well than to dissipate one's energies in seeking to attain too many different objects, and the wisdom of this policy was exemplified in his own life.
Mr. Moore was twice married: First, about 1851, to Miss Millie Stark, who lived but a few years. His second marriage was to Mrs. Sarah A. Bierce. widow of Alonzo Bierce. and daughter of John and Margery (Chain) Cunningham. Mrs. Moore was born in Columbiana County. Ohio, in 1828, and when an infant about a year old, came with her parents to Delaware County, they settling in Brown Township, where Mr. Cunningham purchased and improved a farm, and where he and his wife resided until reaching an advanced age, when they removed to Delaware. Mr. Cunningham was born in Columbiana County in 1801. and died in the city of Delaware in 1858. His wife Margery, Mrs. Moore's mother, was born in Columbiana County in 1802. and died October 3. 1854. They were the parents of four children: Margery, who became the wife of James Harriott: Eliza, wife of John Hill; Sarah, who married Sidney Moore, subject of this sketch; and Jackson, who is now a resident of Delaware. The two last mentioned are the only members of the family now living. Mrs. Moore's grandfathers, Hugh Cunningham and Hugh Chain, were pioneer settlers in Columbiana County. By her marriage with Mr. Moore she had no children but by her first husband she was the mother of two sons, namely: John Bierce. who died at the age of eighteen years, and Arthur W. Bierce. who is now a resident of Delaware.
Mr. Moore died May 27. 1907, in his residence on North Sandusky Street, which he had erected in 1868. His funeral services were conducted with the impressive rites of the Masonic Order, of which he was so devoted a member, and his remains were laid to rest in Oak Grove Cemetery. His departure was not only a severe blow to his devoted wife, who had sustained his hopes and shared his triumphs through so many years, but was also felt as a sad loss to the community at large, who realized that a strong man in character and achievement, and a sterling citizen, had gone from among them.
From 20th Century History of Delaware County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens by James R. Lytle
Sidney Moore, Cashier of the Delaware Co. Bank, Delaware; was born in Delaware, Ohio, Dec. 16, 1822; his parents were Sidney and Phoebe (Mann) Moore; his father was a native of Vermont and made his home in Delaware at an early day; his trade was that of a brick and stone mason, which occupation he followed for a number of years. He was married in Delaware, to Miss Phoebe Mann, who is now living in Delaware and is one of the oldest residents of the city. Sidney Moore received his education at the public school of Delaware, attending the school taught by Mr. Murray, which was at that time the leading school in this vicinity; for a few years he was a clerk in the court house, and afterward, through the influence of Judge Hosea Williams, obtained a clerkship in the Delaware County Bank, in 1845; before occupying this position he was sent to Columbus, where he learned the banking business, when he returned to Delaware and entered the bank as book-keeper; in 1855, he became Cashier, which position he has filled ever since, with the exception of some three years when he was in the banking business at Indianapolis.
From History of Delaware County and Ohio, O. L. Baskin & Co., 1880