William C. Bovey, notary public at Ostrander and a leading citizen, engaged in the carriage and wagon manufacturing industry, was born at Plain City, Ohio, May 2, 1859, and is a son of Emanual and Annie (Winget) Bovey.

The father of Mr. Bovey was born in Maryland and died in Alabama in 1899. He learned the trade of carriage-maker in his own State and followed it there and for a short time at Newark, Ohio, to which city he came prior to his marriage, which later took place at Ostrander. He then moved to Delaware and a few years later to Plain City, and in 1889 to Athens, Alabama. He owned 160 acres of land in that vicinity and followed farming together with work at his trade until his death. He was a Democrat in his political views. He married Annie, a daughter of Ezra Winget, of Ostrander, Ohio, and five of their children reached mature age, namely: Mary, now deceased, who married Walter Morrison, also now deceased; William C, whose name appears at the head of this article; C. L. V. Bovey. who resides at Warrensburg, Ohio; Emma, who married James W. McKittrick, of Ostrander; and Martin, who is deceased. The parents of the above mentioned family were worthy Christian people, the father being a member of the German Baptist Church and the mother the Presbyterian Church.

William C. Bovey was educated in the public schools of Ostrander. He learned the trade of carriage and wagon-making with his father, and also learned blacksmithing, later acquiring a practical knowledge of carriage painting. Thus he is competent to do any kind of work required in his manufactory, being able to construct, himself, every part of a vehicle and turn out a finished product. He probably has no equal in the county in this respect. When his father left Ostrander in 1880, he embarked in a general store business, which he continued for two years and then opened his present establishment, a commodious, well-arranged business house, which Mr. Bovey has occupied ever since. His ground floor is mainly taken up with stock and his paint shop is on the second floor. He builds wagons and carriages to order and does repair work, having the larger part of the custom from the surrounding territory. Mr. Bovey was married first to Nellie Rowland, a daughter of John Rowland, of Radnor Township, and they had three children—Annie, who married Lewis Howison, of Bellpoint; Ernest, who resides at Plain City; and Ethel, who married Raleigh Willis, residing in Liberty Township. Mr. Bovey was married secondly to Clementine Carrier, a daughter of Joseph Carrier, of Ridgeville, Indiana, and they have the following children : Chloie, Frances C, Hazel Eldora, Dale, Carlyle, and Mary Ivadel. Mr. and Mrs. Bovey are members of the Presbyterian Church, of which he has been a trustee for nine years. He is very active in Sunday-school and philanthropic work.

Mr. Bovey is a leading Democrat of Delaware County, and a very influential factor in the public affairs of Scioto Township. He served as township clerk for eight years, for four years was clerk of the corporation of Ostrander, and for four years has been a notary public. Fraternally, he belongs to Ostrander Lodge, No. 348 Knights of Pythias, and both he and wife belong to the auxiliary order of Pythian Sisters, in which Mrs. Bovey has held the office of mistress of finance.

 

From 20th Century History of Delaware County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens by James R. Lytle