Stanley Bell, a veteran of the Civil War and trustee of Oxford Township, has been a life long resident of this community. He was born two miles southeast of Ashley, Oxford Township, January 1, 1843. and is a son of Henry and Mary (Miller) Bell.

Henry Bell was born in Maryland, and came west to Zanesville, Ohio, walking and carrying his carpenter's tools. His wife came into possession of a piece of land in Oxford Township, Delaware County, upon which they moved. This they cleared and erected thereon buildings, some of which still stand. Mr. Bell became a man of prominence in this vicinity and was frequently called upon to fill local offices. He served several terms as township trustee. He married Mary Miller, who was born in Zanesville, Ohio, and was a daughter of Jesse and Mary Miller, her father being a shepherd and a very wealthy man. Henry Bell and wife became parents of the following children: John, who lives in Columbus; Sarah (Poole) deceased; Mary, who lives on the old home place; Stanley; Robert, who also lives on the old home farm; David, who lives east of Delaware; and Celia, who resides on the old home place. Mr. Bell was an Abolitionist prior to the Civil war and later a Republican.

Stanley Bell was reared in Oxford Township where he attended school and worked at home until the Civil War was in progress. He was very anxious to enter the service but could not secure the consent of his father who needed him at home and wished him to remain in school. In 1863, he accompanied his father to Ashley, to see some soldiers depart for the front, and while his father's back was turned jumped on the train. He enlisted for three months service in Company C. Eighty-fifth O. V. I., at the end of which time he returned home for three weeks. He then re-enlisted in Company H, One Hundred and Seventy-fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served till the war was over. He fought at Murfreesboro, Stone River and Nashville and in many skirmishes of importance. While in action. General Jones observed him in an act of bravery and had him advanced in rank to Sergeant-Major. He was with General Sherman's Army at Raleigh, North Carolina, where the war closed, and from there returned to Washington. D. C, and was discharged after taking part in the Grand Review. After returning home he remained there until March, 1866, when he located on 50 acres in Oxford Township. This land he improved, erected a residence and the necessary buildings ami resided there about 25 years. He then moved across the line into Peru Township. Morrow County, where he lived until October 17, 1904, then bought 23 acres of the old B. S. Brundage place, lying within the corporation limits of the village of Ashley. He has a comfortable home, built of brick, and devotes his time to farming on a small scale.

In 1868, Mr. Bell was united in marriage to Harriet Walters, who was born in Oxford Township, and is a daughter of Hosea and Hannah (Heverlo) Watters. They had the following children: Harry, who lives in Cleveland; Bertha, who married Marion Hatton, lives in Brown Township; Lena, who married Frank Librock, lives in Delaware; Arthur, who lives in Delaware, married Minta Hupp, and has a son, Clyde Stanley; Joseph, who is attending a dental college in Columbus; Clara, who lives in Oxford Township, is the wife of Harvey Lea, by whom she has two children; Merle and Robert E.; and May and Elizabeth, both of whom are at home.

Politically, Mr. Bell is a Republican and at the present time is serving as township trustee and health officer. He formerly served two terms as trustee, and was also member of the School Board. He belongs to the Grange, and to J. E. Coomer Post, No. 281, G. A. R. at Ashley.

 

 

20th Century History of Delaware County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens, Edited and compiled by James R. Lytle, Delaware, Ohio, Biographical Publishing Co., Chicago, 1908