Joseph H. Andrews, a well-known resident of Delaware Township, Delaware County, Ohio, who owns and operates a fine farm of 50 acres, was born July 27, 1869, in Concord Township, Delaware County, and is a son of Dr. Hugh B. and Mary E. (Dall) Andrews. Hugh Andrews, grandfather of J. H., was born in 1781, in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, and came to Ohio when 12 years old. He served in the War of 1812, being with Hull when he surrendered, and after the war settled in Fairfield County, Ohio, where he followed the trade of tailor and later took up farming, which he continued until his death.

His son, Dr. Hugh B. Andrews, was born October 6, 1819. in Fairfield County, and in the spring of 1852 came to Delaware County, where for many years he practiced medicine, but subsequently settled on a farm in Concord Tovvnship consisting of 85 acres, where he has since carried on general farming and stock raising. Originally a Whig, Mr. Andrews is now a Republican. He is a member of the United Brethren Church. Mr. Andrews was married to Mary E. Dall, who was the daughter of James Dall. and five children were born to this union: John and James H., who are deceased; Nettie E., who is the wife of David Bailey of Concord Township; Maggie, who married Adron Cook of Concord Township; and J. H.

J. H. Andrews received a common school education in his native township, and spent one year at Lebanon, Ohio, and two years at what is now Ada University. He taught several terms before entering the last named institution. He left school to make his campaign for the office of county recorder, to which he was elected in 1899, and in which he served until September, 1906. On April 1, 1907, he purchased bis present farm of fifty acres in Delaware Township, where he gives special attention to the raising of corn and hay, selling most of the latter, while the former is fed to his fine Chester White hogs.

Mr. Andrews was married to Jessie C. Cutler, who is the daughter of Orange D. Cutler, formerly of Jerome, but now of Delaware, Ohio. One daughter. Mary Stiles, has been horn to this union. Mr. Andrews and his wife belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church. Fraternally he is connected with Delaware Lodge No. 76 of the Elks, of which he is esteemed loyal knight, and the Odd Fellows at Jerome, Ohio, of which he is past grand and of which he was district deputy grand master for four years; and at one time was a member of Delaware Encampment No. 52, of the Odd Fellows.

 

 

20th Century History of Delaware County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens, Edited and compiled by James R. Lytle, Delaware, Ohio, Biographical Publishing Co., Chicago, 1908