Clay W. Barton, a prominent citizen, large landowner and successful farmer of Berkshire Township, was born at Columbus, Ohio, March 4, 1861, and is a son of William and Sarah (Inks) Barton.

The parents of Mr. Barton were natives of Niagara County, New York. They were married at Columbus, Ohio, in 1850. The father, William Barton, was a prosperous real estate dealer at Columbus for a number of years and continued to reside there until his death, which took place April 7, 1905, his wife's death having occurred in the preceding month. They had four children, namely: Mary, who died aged sixteen years; Helen, who married John Braddock, residing at Newark, Ohio; Clay W.; and Nellie, who died aged seventeen years.

Clay W. Barton was educated in the schools of Columbus and prior to going the real estate business with his father, was a clerk for two years in the office of the C. H. B. & T. Railroad. Under his father's supervision, Mr. Barton developed into a successful business man, and continued his residence at Columbus until 1886. He then bought 150 acres of farming land adjoining Sunbury on the south, where he has since carried on general agriculture. In April, 1906, he purchased a second farm of 116 acres in Geneva Township, which he rents. He is identified with many of the leading business concerns of this community. He owns considerable stock and is a director in the Sunbury Farmers' Bank and has other interests. He also owns valuable city realty at Columbus and is interested in the Smith Chemical Company, manufacturers of fertilizers in that city.

In 1888 Mr. Barton was married to Anna Moore, who was born at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and who died at Sunbury, Ohio, April 1, 1895. She left one child, Ethel, born in February, 1890, who died October 7, 1902. Mr. Barton was married, secondly, May 13, 1907, to Mrs. Ella (Mains) Ford, widow of the late Benton Ford and daughter of John Mains. Mrs. Ford had three daughters—Catherine, Estella and Ruth, all attending school. In politics, Mr. Barton is a Republican, and since 1897 he has been a trustee of Berkshire Township. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and has served on its Board of Trustees.

 

clay barton res

 

20th Century History of Delaware County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens, Edited and compiled by James R. Lytle, Delaware, Ohio, Biographical Publishing Co., Chicago, 1908