R. M. Avery, until recently cashier of the Deposit Banking Company, at Delaware, which position he resigned April 1, 1908, belongs to one of the old pioneer families of Delaware County. He was born at Delaware, Delaware County, Ohio, in 1871, and is a son of the late Jasper Avery. Judge Frederick Avery, the grandfather of R. M. Avery, was one of the earliest settlers of Delaware County, where he became a man of great prominence. He served as judge on the Common Pleas bench and was one of the political factors of his day. For many years he was an active promoter of the "underground railway," making his home a secret station for fugitive slaves. Jasper Avery, father of the subject of this sketch, was engaged in farming through his earlier life, but for a long period preceding his death was associated with the V. T. Hills Company.

R. M. Avery was graduated from the Delaware High School in 1888, and in the fall of the same year he entered the employ of the Deposit Banking Company, as a messenger. His fidelity and efficiency were rewarded by consecutive promotions until in 1898 he was elected cashier. His recent resignation from this position has been mentioned above. He is a member of the Board of Directors and a stockholder in the institution. In 1899, R. .M. Avery was married to Daisy Seegar. who is a daughter of Dr. Seegar, of Logan County, Ohio. They have one child, Florence. Mr. and Mrs. Avery are members of the William Street Methodist Episcopal Church, Mr. Avery being church treasurer. Fraternally, he is connected with the Knights of Pythias and the Elks.

 

 

20th Century History of Delaware County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens, Edited and compiled by James R. Lytle, Delaware, Ohio, Biographical Publishing Co., Chicago, 1908