General Stephen B. Yeoman, attorney at law, Washington, was born in Washington, this county, on the 1st day of December, 1836, and is a son of Alvah and Elizabeth Yeoman. His father was a native of New York, and his mother of Virginia. His father came to this state about the year 1806, and his mother about 1815.

They had a family of eight children, four of whom are living. Stephen, the subject of our sketch, at the age of fifteen, shipped as a sailor; visited New Zealand and different points in South America, Asia, and Africa. After enjoying many adventures, and undergoing many hardships, finally returned to the United States. His great grandfather served with credit as a captain in the revolution, and his grandfather as a first lieutenant in the war of 1812.

When the late war broke out Stephen B. immediately volunteered. Was under General Rosencrans, with whom he continued as a private in the 22d O. V. I., Company F, and was afterwards in West Virginia, until his regiment was discharged by reason of expiration qf term of service. At home he immediately commenced recruiting, and returned to the field again, September 15, 1861, as captain of Company A, 54th O. V. I. He was then ordered, by General Sherman, to take ten picked men and penetrate the rebel lines, in order to ascertain their forces. While gallantly in discharge of duty, he received the following wounds: Shiloh, April 6th and 7th, slight wounds in breast; battle of Russell House, June, 1862, in left leg, also, in arm and abdomen; January 10th and 11th, 1863, wounded in right arm, entirely severing the arm below the elbow, which was amputated. For his distinguished services he was promoted to major of his regiment, and on account of his serious loss, and not being able to return to his regiment, he resigned. He was appointed captain in the Veteran Reserve Corps, commanding Company C, 2d Battalion, on duty at Cincinnati.

In May, 1864, he received from the President of the United States, the appointment ot colonel of this regiment, and was detailed by War Department to Camp Caley, Virginia, as superintendant of recruiting service and chief mustering officer, of the northeast district of Virginia. November 29, 1864, he rejoined his regiment, and led this command in all the actions after that date. He has also been commanding oflicer of 3d Brigade, 1st Division, 25th Corps, and was promoted by the President of the United States, to Brevet Brigadier General of Volunteers, for his gallant services during the war; to rank as such from the 15th day of March, 1865.

He was married, in 1863, to Miss Cordelia A. Wood, daughter of Daniel and Tabitha Wood, of this county. They have five children living: Minnette, Ida C, Burton, Nellie and Grace, and one dead, Willard.

In 1866 he was elected probate judge of the county, which office he filled three years, and is now practicing law in Washington. He is a man beloved by all who know him, and is competent and well worthy of filling any office in the gift of the people.


From R. S. Dills' History of Fayette County