Was born in Hampshire County, Virginia, in the year 1784. In 1807 he was married to Margaret Jobe, and in the following year the young couple, accompanied by a man named Jury and his wife, removed to this state. They came in a four-horse wagon; the country was scarcely traversable, and frequently were they obliged to cut their way through the almost impenetrable forests; at other times they constructed rafts that they might cross the many streams. The party settled near Hillsboro, in Highland County, where they remained until 1810, at which time the Greens removed to this county, locating four miles southeast of Washington, on Buckskin. Green was a member of the jury that was empaneled by the first court ever held in the town of Washington. He hired a substitute to go out in the war of 1812, but volunteered as teamster and hauled supplies for the American army. In 1816 he removed to Greene County, thence to Clarke; in 1826 he returned to this county. He frequently hauled pork and produce to Zanesville and Cincinnati, exchanging them for family supplies; being usually accompanied by Phihp Moore. Green was captain of a home militia company for a number of years, and also justice of the peace of Paint Township. He at one time owned about fourteen hundred acres of land and was an extensive trader in cattle and hogs. His wife died in 1840 ; he in 1871, aged eighty-seven. His son, Hamilton, who was born in 1811, yet resides on the farm formerly owned by Adam Funk.
From R. S. Dills' History of Fayette County