J. L. Andrews has been a resident of Lima for almost 20 years and during the entire period has been a powerful factor in pushing the various industrial enterprises of the city and, by his own example in kindling the interest and enthusiasm of others until success was assured.  Although a careful business man he is, at the same time, progressive and enterprising, and his name may be found among the stockholders of many of Lima's leading institutions.  Mr. Andrews was born in July, 1849, in Pittsfield, Warren County, Pennsylvania, and was there educated and developed into manhood.  At an early age he engaged in the production of oil in his native State, and continued in business there until 1887.


At that time the industry was in its infancy in this county, and Mr. Andrews soon took advantage of the situation by removing to Lima and contracting for the production of oil.  He located here in November, 1887, and the oil industry at once began to assume activity, continuing to increase until it has reached its present importance.  Mr. Andrews is now operating in the Indiana oil field, but his business interest have extended until they embrace shares in the East Iron & Machine Company, (of which he is director), The National Roofing Tile Company, and a number of other enterprises.


In 1878, Mr. Andrews was married to Rosalia A. Porter, daughter of the late A. V. Porter, of Warren County, Pennsylvania.  Two children were born  to this union: Blanche, who is the wife of George S. Moffat, D. D. S., of Pittsburg, Kansas, and Orren L., a student of Purdue University, class of 1907.  For several years Mr. Andrews was trustee of Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church, of Lima, of which he is a devout members. He is affiliated with the Knights of Pythias of this city, and is also prominent in Masonic circles, being a member of the Blue Lodge, Chapter, Council and Commandery at Lima, Antioch Temple of the Mystic Shrine at Dayton, and Lake Erie Consistory, S. P. R. S., at Cleveland.