In Fairfield County, Ohio, on a farm near Bremen, was born the subject of our sketch, who is pastor of Calvary Reformed Church.  His early education was received at country schools.  At 16 years of age he entered the Ohio Central Normal College at Pleasantville, Ohio, competing the normal course in 1889.  He remained one year at this school as assistant instructor in algebra and geography and then took up the study of the law.  He found the legal profession distasteful, however, and turned to the ministry.  He entered Heidelberg University at Tiffin, Ohio, in 1892, completing the classical course in 1896 with his degree of Bachelor of Arts.  While attending the university he paid his expenses by clerking in a shoe store.  In the fall of 1896 he entered the theological department at Heidelberg and upon finishing the course in 1899 he received his degree of Bachelor of Divinity.  During his theological training, Mr. Young supplied the First Reformed Church at Fremont, Ohio, the Lindsay charge at Lindsay, and the First Reformed Church at Caruthers, Ohio.  During his vacations he supplied the Grace Reformed Church at Lancaster, Ohio.


After completing his seminary course he accepted a call from St. John's Reformed Church at Germantown, Ohio, where he served until coming to Lima, October 1, 1903.  Under his earnest ministry at Germantown the congregation increased in membership from 200 to nearly 400, the church was remodeled and repaired, and a new parsonage valued at $5,000 was purchased.  He had found the church greatly in debt and left it in possession of a bank account.  His labors in Lima have been similarly rewarded and under his efficient and pleasant ministry his church has taken in members from all parts of the city and the congregation has been almost doubled.  During the last two years they have contributed almost as much to benevolence as to the current expenses of the congregation.