David Morrison was born September 16, 1807, in Pennsylvania. He was a nephew of John Loughry. He went from Pennsylvania direct to Rockville to engage in business under Mr. Loughry. He was married to Martha Mitchell, the daughter of Associate Judge David Mitchell, on the twenty-eighth day of November, 1835, by Rev. Elcazor Brainard, and they went to house keeping in Rockville. He remained with John Loughry from about 1831 to 1841 as a superintendent of the business of quarrying and shipping stone. From 1841 to 1847, he was engaged in boating on the Ohio River. He owned a tow-boat and a number of barges and engaged in transporting heavy goods on the Ohio River. He would load them on barges and tow the barges. From 1851 to 1859, he resided in Covington, Kentucky. He bought the Judge Mitchell farm, now owned by his sons, Albert R. and James H. Morrison, and removed there in 1859, and resided there until his death, though he never was at any time a farmer, but was always engaged on the river. He was a large man, weighing over two hundred and fifty pounds and was always active and energetic. He died suddenly March 23, 1863, from the effects of an operation on his eyes. His wife survived him until March 18, 1886. They both rest in the Mitchell cemetery on the hill overlooking the home of Judge David Mitchell, her father. They had the following children: Mary, wife of Loyal Wilcox, residing in Kansas. She has a large family and a son and daughter married. Armour Morrison resides in Chicago and is engaged in the life insurance business; Albert R. Morrison married Elizabeth McMasters, and resides in the old home in Nile Township, Scioto County; James H. Morrison, the second son, resides in Portsmouth, Ohio; Charles W. Morrison, the youngest son, is a teacher of music in the conservatory of music at Oberlin College, and has been so engaged for twenty-three years. He went there as a young man to study music and after he had completed his studies there and in Europe, he was engaged to teach there and has remained ever since. The sons are all like their father—active, energetic and industrious men.

 

From "History of Adams County, Ohio from its Earliest Settlement to the Present Time" - by Nelson W. Evans and Emmons B. Stivers - West Union, Ohio - Published by E. B. Stivers - 1900