John Bratton Allison is a native of Meigs Township, in Adams County. He was born March 30, 1837. His father was Samuel Allison, a native of Hancock County, Pennsylvania. He came to Carmel, in Highland County, and located there. His mother was Elizabeth Bratton, a sister of John Bratton, for whom Bratton Township was named. Her father, Jacob Bratton, was one of the first settlers of Adams County. His widow, Elizabeth, died April 19, 1836, in the ninety-fourth year of her age. Samuel Allison had six children: one son, our subject, and five daughters, who lived to maturity. Two children died in infancy. R. H. W. Peterson married Elizabeth Allison, the youngest one of the daughters. Dick Thompson married Mary Jane, another daughter; and Susan, the third daughter, married Joseph Andrews. Angeline, the second daughter, married Jacob Ogle, of Illinois. Evaline, the eldest daughter, married Jeremiah M. ?iblis, and moved to Missouri in 1852.

Our subject received a common school education, and none other. In 1840. he began to learn the tanner's trade with Townshend Enos Reed, and remained with him until March, 1855, at Marble Furnace. In 1855, he went upon the farm which he now owns and on which he now lives, and worked for his uncle, John Bratton, who then owned the farm, as a hand at thirteen dollars per month, until 1859. In that year on November 3, he married Miss Hannah S. Hughes, daughter of Peter Hughes, and continued to reside on the farm of his uncle, John Bratton. In 1876 he purchased the farm, 260 acres of the estate of John Bratton, for $6,860, and has resided there ever since. From 1859 to 1876, he had the farm rented.

There have been three sons of this marriage. John F., the eldest, attended the St. Louis University in 1878 and 1879. He afterwards engaged in the hardware business at Hillsboro from 1888 to 1892. Since the latter date he has been a farmer in Hardin County, Ohio. He married Miss Lizzie Kennedy, of New York. Charles C, the second son, graduated in the college course in St. Mary's school, in Kansas City, in 1884, and taught in the vicinity of his home for two years. 'He read medicine with Dr. Berry, at Locust Grove, who pronounced him one of the best students he had ever known. He graduated from the Louisville Medical College in 1888, with highest honors. He won several medals, notably the gold medal in surgery. He took a post-graduate course at the Bellevue Medical College. He then took employment on the steamer Obdam, plying between New York and Amsterdam, and made several voyages. He, however, resigned this in a short time, and located as a physician and surgeon at Omaha, and has attained a high position in his profession. He fills two chairs at the Omaha Medical College; he also has a chair and is a lecturer at Creighton Medical College. He has had charge of the Presbyterian Hospital there; and has been connected with St. Joseph's Hospital, in the same place. He married Miss Catharine Creighton and is now one of the leading physicians and surgeons in Nebraska.

James B., the third son, graduated at St. Mary's School, in Kansas City, in 1888; after that, he was in the clothing business in Hillsboro from 1889 to 1891. In the latter year, he went to Helena, Montana, and engaged in the same business. While here, he acted as Deputy United States Marshal part of the time; and on one occasion took seven Chinese prisoners to California. He settled in the year 1894 at Chinook, Montana, and from there went to St. Paul, Minnesota, where he now resides and is engaged in the mercantile business. He married Miss Mary Inglebrand, of Hillsboro.

Mr. Allison, our subject, was County Commissioner of Adams County from 1872 to 1875, during the famous county seat contest, and stood for West Union as against Manchester. He has been a township trustee and a school trustee for many years. He has one of the best cared for and most valuable farms in Adams County. It is a delight to look upon. Mr. Allison is a man agreeable to meet. He is very tall, with a large frame and commanding presence. He carries his years lightly, and looks several years younger that he is.

From "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900