Irwin M. Anderson. a resident of Clyde, Ohio, was born August 7, 1845, at West Union. His father was James Anderson, who has a separate sketch herein. Irwin Anderson went to school at West Union in the old stone schoolhouse which stood where the house occupied by John Knox now stands.

In June, 1863, he enlisted in Company G, 129th O. V. I., and served until the eighth of March following. He enlisted August 25, 1864, in the Seventh Ohio Cavalry, and was mustered out with the company, July 1, 1865. In both services he was in the campaigns about East Tennessee. He was in the affair at Cumberland Gap on September 9, 1863; in Burnside's campaign against Longstreet that fall and winter. He was engaged in the siege of Knoxville in the Fall of 1864, and was in the battles of Franklin and Nashville, Tennessee; Pulaski, Tennessee; Plantersville and Selma, Alabama, in 1865. After the war was over, he went to school in Xenia, Ohio, in 1865 and 1866. He then located in Mexico, Missouri, and was in the west and southwest from 1866 to 1870. In the latter year, he located in Camden, Ohio. He was married October 14, 1873, to Miss Emma J. Smith, of Oxford, Ohio. He resided there until 1877. In that year, he located in Mansfield, Ohio, and worked for the Aultman-Taylor Company. He resided in Marion from 1880 to 1883, when he located in Clyde, Ohio, which has since been his home. His wife died May 10, 1895. He has six children, five sons and a daughter. His son, Carl J., is an artist in Springfield, Ohio, and illustrates the "Woman's Home Companion." His daughter, Stella, lives in Chicago with her brothers. Sherwood is a bookkeeper in Chicago, as is his son Irwin. His son, Ray, is a student, and his son, Earl, is in an art school there. They all reside at No. 1036 Adams Street, and the sister keeps house for them.

Mr. Anderson takes a great interest in army organizations. For four years he has been engaged in preparing entertainments for various Grand Army Posts. He possesses considerable dramatic talent, and has been very successful in his work.

From "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900