John Rogers was born in Orange County, New York, Oct. 20, 1800. His parents subsequently moved to Sussex County, New Jersey, and finally to Licking County, Ohio, in 1814. In 1821 he went to Richland County, Ohio, and shortly afterward married Miss Mary Hadley of Mt. Vernon. In the autumn of 1833 he came to Auglaize County and settled on the site of the Black Hoof Village, when he became one of the two original proprietors and founders of St. Johns. Two years later Clay township was organized, and at the first election he was chosen trustee of the township. He afterwards held the office of justice of the peace. His wife died about 1841, and ten years later he married Mrs. Nancy a Bechdalt, née Coleman, who with his seven children survives him. To the development of the community he contributed his full share; and having attained his eightieth year, he laid down the burden of cares and years April 30, 1880, and embraced that rest which awaits even the restless. He was thus closely associated with the village and township, having assisted in the founding of both, and continued identified with them during a period of nearly half a century.

 

 

From "History of Auglaize County, Ohio, with the Indian History of Wapakoneta, and the First Settlement of the County", Robert Sutton, Publishers, Wapakoneta, 1880