WILLIAM WILLARD MOSES, agent for the United States Express Company at Decatur, Indiana, is a native of Carroll County, Ohio, born November 24, 1832, a son of John and Rebecca (Stattler) Moses, natives of Somerset County, Pennsylvania, of German parentage. They were married in 1824, and in 1832 moved to Carroll County, Ohio, where the father died in 1872, aged seventy-two years. The mother died near Decatur, Indiana, in 1868, aged sixty-eight years, while on a visit to her children. In politics John Moses was first a Whig, and then a Republican. He was for several years a justice of the peace. Both were members of the Lutheran church. W. W. Moses was reared in his native county, and when twenty years of age went to New Cumberland, Ohio, where he was employed in a mercantile establishment two years. In October, 1854, he came to Adams County, Indiana, and was employed as clerk for J.D. & J.M. Nuttman, of Decatur, until 1860, and in the fall of that year became associated with D. Crabbs, under the name of Crabbs & Moses, in the general mercantile business at Newville, Wells County. In the fall of 1863 they moved their business to Decatur and admitted B.J. Rice to the firm, changing the name to Crabbs, Moses & Rice. In 1870 he retired from the firm and became a member of the H.W. Shockley & Co. Manufacturing Company, which afterward became a stock company known as the Shockley Wheel Company, from which he withdrew in 1874. He then engaged in the hardware business at Geneva, Indiana, until 1880, when he closed out his business and returned to Decatur, and was soon after appointed by the United States Express Company agent at Decatur. In politics Mr. Moses is a Republican. He has served one term as councilman of Decatur. November 4, 1862, he was married to Miss Julia Patterson, daughter of James and Eliza (Patterson) Patterson. They have four children -Louis C., a telegraph operator; Nettie, a teacher in the Decatur schools; Homer P., a clerk in the office with his father, and Warren W., still a student. Mr. and Mrs. Moses are members of the Presbyterian church.
Biographical and Historical Record of Adams County, Indiana; The Lewis Publishing Company, 1887