HUGH S. COBLE. A long, active and prosperous career at Steubenville, during which he has given his aid and encouragement to the management of the city's industries and enterprises, has made Hugh S. Coble one of the best known citizens of the community. He is identified with a number of Steubenville's activities, being secretary of the Jefferson Building & Savings Company, and in the various institutions with which he has been associated his labors have been invariably of a constructive character.
Mr. Coble was born at Leaviddsville, Carroll County, Ohio, May 23, 1850, but has been a resident of Steubenville since his second year, having been brought to this place in 1852 by his parents, Jacob and Jane (Sterling) Coble, the former of whom died in 1877 and the latter in September, 1875. His great-grandfather was of Pennsylvania Dutch descent. His maternal grandfather was Hugh Sterling, who came with his wife, Jane, from Ireland and first settled at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where Mr. Coble's mother was born. Later grandfather Sterling bought the property at Fourth and Adams streets, Steubenville, Ohio, which is now in the possession of his grandson, Mr. H.S. Coble.
Jacob Coble on coming to Steubenville in 1852 began an active career. A merchant by vocation, he built up one of the largest establishments of the community, was likewise prominent in all affairs of public interest, served on the school board and the City Council, and was a leading member and supporter of the First Methodist Episcopal Church, formerly known as Kramer Chapel. He and his wife were the parents of five children: Margaret, who married L.V. Brandenburg and has two children, William C. and Ottomer G.; Mary Hood, who is unmarried; Katherine, who married H.O. Hukill, and has one child, J.L.; Hugh S.; and Martha, who married Rev. W.D. Grace, and has one child, Frank S.
Hugh S. Coble following his graduation from the high school at Steubenville when sixteen years of age, entered his father's store as a clerk, and remained with the elder man as his associate until death claimed the founder of the business. The heirs subsequently selling the business, Mr. Coble then secured employment in the store of Winfield Scott, with whom he remained for eight years as cashier. For some time Mr. Coble had been interested in politics, and at this point in his career was elected county treasurer of Jefferson County, an office in which he served two full terms, followed by a term as deputy county treasurer under his successor. On leaving the county office he became secretary of the Jefferson Building & Saving Company, of which he is also a director, and which company carries on an extensive building and loan business. He has remained in this capacity to the present, and is accounted one of the able business men of his community. He is a member of the First Methodist Episcopal Church, and belongs also to the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, the Knights of Pythias, the Chamber of Commerce, the Steubenville Country Club and the Century Club, in all of which he has numerous friends.
On October 2, 1872, Mr. Coble was united in marriage at Youngstown, Ohio, with Miss Mary Paine, daughter of O.D. Paine and Susan P. (Mostelaur) Paine, both deceased. O.D. Paine was a prominent physician of Youngstown who died in 1910, his wife passing away in 1920. They were the parents of three children: Mary; Ida, who married Mr. Gulick; and Belle, who married Kenneth Reinholt, and had one child, Helen Paine. Mr. and Mrs. Coble had one son, the late Dwight Hukill Coble, who married Alice Bair, and had one son, Dwight Sterling, who is also deceased, although the widow survives.
History of Ohio, The American Historical Society, Inc., 1925, Volume V