EDWARD A. WELSH.  One of the representative citizens and substantial and reliable business men of Elyria, Ohio, is Edward A. Welsh, undertaker and dealer in household furnishings, with business quarters at 202 West Bridge Street, Elyria. He has been continuously identified with the interests of this city for the past seventeen years, is very generally known, and commands the respect and confidence of his fellow citizens.

Mr. Welsh is a native of Ohio, born in Columbiana County, April 16, 1871, a son of John and Mary (Doyle) Welsh. His father was born in Pennsylvania, where his people were farmers. He came to Ohio when comparatively a young man, and at Summitville, this state, was married to Mary Doyle, who was born in Ireland, and died on the home farm in Columbiana County in 1892. For a number of years John Welsh was a farmer in the above county, but in later life came to Lorain County and purchased a residence on West River Road. His death occurred in the fall of 1918. Both he and his wife were faithful members  of the Roman Catholic Church.

Edward W. Welsh obtained his education in the country schools. A good obedient son, making his parents' interests his own, he remained with them, helping his father on the home farm until he was eighteen years old, and after that alternated farming with school teaching, and had taught five terms before he was twenty-two years old. The death of his beloved mother left a vacant place in the household, keenly felt, and as changes came about he left the farm and started out for himself.

In 1893 Mr. Welsh went to work in a butcher's shop at Lorain, Ohio, where he remained for a time, but on finding himself not greatly interested he looked about for other employment and finally entered the steel mills at Lorain. Never having had any experience in this line of hard work, he had to begin at the bottom, but he soon made headway, and during the seven years he remained there was advanced from time to time, both as to salary and responsibility.

In 1906, Mr. Welsh came to Elyria and soon afterward went into the undertaking business, which he has conducted ever since, his establishment being the oldest in its line in his section of the city. Mr. Welsh has kept abreast with the times and his equipments are modern in every particular. In 1915 he embarked in merchandising along the line of house furnishings, rugs, carpets, linoleums, curtains and other properties, and his attractive and reliable goods have found ready sale and a large business has been built up.

Mr. Welsh married in Lorain County, in 1906, Miss Anna M. Wilhelmy, who was born here and is a daughter of Nicholas and Anna (Stopp) Wilhelmy. Mr. and Mrs. Welsh have a family of four sons and two daughters: Raymond E., J. Regis, Marion, Marcella, Robert and Thomas.

In politics Mr. Welsh has always been an active and loyal supporter of the democratic party, although he has never consented to accept a political office. For years he has also been interested in several reliable fraternal organizations, beginning before he left the farm, when he was a charter member in the organization of a local Grange. He belongs to the Loyal Order of Moose, and to the Lorain County Automobile Club. With his family he belongs to St. Mary's Catholic Church at Elyria. For a number of years he has been a member of the Knights of Columbus, and has served as warden of the local body; served four years as president of the Knights of St. John and is now serving as treasurer of same and is a member of St. Joseph's Society.

 

History of Ohio, The American Historical Society, Inc., 1925, vol. III