GEORGE W. LITTLE, one of the substantial citizens of Butler township, who owns a productive farm of 125 acres and for past 26 years has been the owner and operator of his own blacksmith shop at New Middleton, was born in Dumfriesshire, Scotland, May 19, 1850, and is a son of John and Ann (Watson) Little.

The parents of our subject were both born in Scotland. From the age of 14 years the father worked as a blacksmith and continued to work at his own forge until advanced in years. He made a specialty of horseshoeing and patrons would come a long distance in order to profit by his skill. His last years were spent with a daughter at New Garden, Columbiana County, Ohio, where his death took place at the age of 79 years. His wife died in her 65th year. Their children were: Janet, widow of Hiram Carle, of Butler township; Michael, a farmer of Hanover township: who followed blacksmithing for 20 years; Agnes Bell, wife of Jonathan. Marshall, of Salem; George W., of this sketch; Mary, deceased; Maggie, wife of John Gamble, residing on the old homestead at New Garden; Lily, wife of Sidney Carte, of Salem; Emma, deceased, who was the wife of Montgomery Cook, of Salem; Elizabeth, deceased, who was the wife of Albert Rutter, of Salem; and Alice, wife of Clyde Bryan, of Salem.

George W. Little was five years old when he accompanied his parents to America. After many days on the ocean, they landed in New York and from there came directly to Homeworth, Columbiana County, where they lived a short time and then removed to North Georgetown. There the father carried on his trade for two years and then removed to "Camp Settlement" in Butler township, where he ran a first-class blacksmith shop for four years. On June 9, 1859, he removed to New Garden and our subject remained with his father, with whom he learned the trade, until he was 26 years old. He and his father worked together for 14 years. When our subject started out for himself, he located in New Middleton, where he now owns a very good home and shop and has a fine line of custom. His farm is operated by his son, who resides on it. When Mr. Little and wife inherited 8 acres of this farm from her father, there had been no buildings erected and but little improving done. Now it is a very valuable property. Industry combined with excellent management have brought Mr. Little deserved success and he is justly looked upon as one of the substantial and representative men of the township.

Mr. Little was married September 8. 1878, to Fannie M. Patterson, who was born in Butler township, and is a daughter of Robert Patterson, one of the prominent men of the township. They have three children, viz: Robert Wesley; Margaretta, who is the wife of Thurman Blythe, of Hanover township: and Gertrude, who resides at home. Politically Mr. Little is a Democrat. Our subject's son, Robert Wesley Little, who is a young man of sterling character, operates his father's farm. He married Estella Wehner, of Hanover township. and they have one son, John A., named in honor of his great-grandfather, John A. Little.

 

History of Columbiana Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens, by William B. McCord. (Chicago: Biographical Publishing Co., 1905)