CHRISTIAN W. HOCKER, a prominent business man of the village of Monroe, and the present trustee of Monroe Township, is a native of Indiana, born in Decatur County, January 5, 1851, the fourth son of Stephen and Susannah (Wefler) Hocker, natives of Switzerland, the father born in 1812, and the mother in 1819. While in his teens the father immigrated to America, and first located in Columbiana County, Ohio. He afterward went to Stark County, Ohio. About 1850 he removed to Decatur County, Indiana, and in 1851 returned to Stark County, Ohio, In the spring of 1864 he returned to Adams County, Indiana, and engaged in farming in French Township. He was married in Columbiana County, Ohio, and was the father of eight sons and one daughter. Mr. and Mrs. Hocker were formerly Lutherans, but afterward united with the Albright church. Mr. Hocker died in 1872, and the mother now resides at Newville, in Wells County, Indiana. Christian W. Hocker, whose name heads this sketch, came with his parents to Adams County when twelve years old, where he was reared on the home farm, receiving his education in the common schools of the county. At the age of twenty-one years he engaged in the sawmill and lumber business, which he has since followed with success, although he started with barely enough to pay for the freight, running in debt for the price of the mill. In 1880 he engaged in the mercantile business in Monroe, in company with John W. Hendricks, under the firm name of Hendricks & Hocker, until the fall of 1883, when the partnership was dissolved. Mr. Hocker then became associated with his brother, Franklin P. Hocker, until the fall of the same year, since which he has conducted the business alone. He is also engaged in farming, and has a fine farm of 160 acres in Monroe Township. Mr. Hocker has been twice married. He was first married February 10, 1871, to Lucinda A. Bell, who died February 28, 1872, leaving one child - Viola B. He was again married January 10, 1876, to Mary I. Hofer, a former resident of Berne, Adams County, coming to this county in 1856. He was a tailor by trade, and now resides at Fall City, Nebraska. Two children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Hocker - Bessie L. and Gertrude E. Mrs. Hocker is a member of the Presbyterian church. Mr. Hocker has been successful in his business enterprises. In 1886 he erected his fine residence at Monroe, at a cost of $2,000, and also erected a commodious business house, which on the morning of March 30, 1886, was entirely destroyed by fire, including the total loss of stock, amounting to about $4,000, no insurance. Although a serious blow financially, through the influence of his many friends he is again building a new block, and will be actively engaged serving his trade within six weeks of time of fire. The entire community wishes him success. In politics he is a Democrat. He takes an active interest in public affairs, and has held several local offices. He was elected to his present office in 1884, and re-elected in 1886.

 

Biographical and Historical Record of Adams County, Indiana; The Lewis Publishing Company, 1887