JAMES GREEN is a native of the city of New York, and went to Columbiana County, Ohio, in about 1833, where he was married, May 28, 1842, to Miss Ann Brown, a native of Loudoun County, Va. In 1848 or 1849, he came to Clay Township, and bought 120 acres of timbered land, which he afterward cleared. The log cabin which he occupied when he first came to the county is still standing. In 1851, he built the first steam saw-mill in the township. This was burned in 1866, and rebuilt that year on the same site, a circular saw being substituted for the muley saw in the other mill. During the first year after coming here, they suffered a great deal from chills an fever, in getting acclimated, and experienced the other trials during the early history of the county. Of a family of nine children, only three are living, viz., Lucinda J., now Mrs. Cherry; Mary W., now Mrs. Doney; and Icey V. Mr. Green owns 200 acres of land, and is a man of sterling abilities, and a first-class farmer in all respects.

 

History of La Grange County, Indiana; F.A. Battey & Co., 1882