JOHN N. CALHOON, M.D. Graduating from medical college in the centennial year of American independence, Doctor Calhoon has been an honored and useful member of the medical profession nearly half a century, and for nearly forty years his home and practice have been at Lisbon, Columbiana, County.

Doctor Calhoon was born in Georgetown, Beaver County, Pennsylvania, July 27, 1855. His father, Richard Calhoon, born in Pennsylvania in 1821, from early manhood lived at Georgetown, where he married and where he died in 1903, at the age of eighty-two. He was a captain and owner of steamboats on the Ohio River plying between Pittsburgh and New Orleans. During the Civil was he placed his boats and himself at the service of the Federal Government, and frequently ran down the river past the hostile forts. Captain Calhoon was a staunch republican, a valued member of the Presbyterian Church, and was affiliated with the Masonic fraternity. He married Elizabeth McCurdy, who was born in Pittsburgh in 1832 and died at Georgetown in 1904. They were the parents of four children: Dora M., who died at Beaver, Pennsylvania, in 1901, wife of Smith Curtis, editor and owner of the Beaver Argos and Radical, who died in 1921; Ella, who died at Springfield, Missouri, in 1923, widow of John Cagley, a wholesale feed merchant who died in that Missouri city in 1904; Susan, of Georgetown, Pennsylvania, widow of John R. Peters, who was a coal mine operator and owner.

Doctor Calhoon, fourth and youngest child of his parents, was educated in the public schools of Georgetown, spent four years in Beaver College, where he was graduated with the Bachelor of Arts  degree, and at the age of twenty-one, in 1876, received his Doctor of Medicine degree from Western Reserve University at Cleveland. Doctor Calhoon for one year practiced at Rochester, Pennsylvania, spent three years at Fairfield, Ohio, and then for several years was out of practice on account of ill health. He located at Lisbon in 1885, and since that year has rendered a most capable service in medicine and surgery. He is president of the Lisbon Medical Board, is a member of the Columbiana County Medical Society, the South Side Medical Society of Pennsylvania. He owns his residence and office building on North Market Street. Doctor Calhoon is a republican, a member of the Lisbon Methodist Episcopal Church, and has taken all the degrees, Lodge, Encampment and Canton, in Odd Fellowship. He is a past grand of Concordia Lodge No. 88 at Lisbon, and belongs to the Canton Buckeye at Lisbon.

Doctor Calhoon's first wife died in 1904, leaving one daughter, Meta, who is the wife of Howell E. Williams, superintendent of a pattern shop at Salem, Ohio. On September 12, 1918, at Cleveland, Doctor Calhoon married Miss Sadie Dennis, a native of that city, a graduate of the Cleveland High School, and also a graduate nurse by profession.

 

History of Ohio, The American Historical Society, Inc., 1925, Volume IV