JOHN J. BROWN. The reputation and standing of John J. Brown as an attorney at Alliance are based upon a quarter of a century of active practice and participation in the professional and civic affairs of that community.

Mr. Brown was born at Hanover in Columbiana County, Ohio, October, 16, 1869, son of George and Mary Ellen (Sinclair) Brown. His early years were spent at Hanover, where he attended public schools, and he finished his literary education in Mount Union College at Alliance. On leaving college he went out to Iowa, and subsequently entered the law department of Iowa State University, where he was graduated in 1897, and admitted to the Iowa bar at the same time. He soon afterward returned to Ohio and in March, 1898, was admitted to the bar of this state and subsequently to practice in the Federal Court. On August 1, 1902, he formed a partnership with Hon. Edwin W. Diehl, an association that continued until September 1, 1923, at which time Mr. Diehl was appointed by Governor Donahey as judge of the Common Pleas Court of Stark County. Mr. Brown served as city solicitor of Alliance from 1906 to 1912. He is a member of the Alliance, the Stark County, and the Ohio State Bar associations.

Fraternally he is a Knight Templar Mason and Shriner, an Elk and a member of the Alpha Tau Omega and Phi Delta Phi college fraternities. He is a republican and has assisted in party councils, though his private law practice has absorbed his time to the exclusion of political aspirations.

On December 28, 1905, Mr. Brown married Miss Elizabeth Marsh, of Alliance. They have one son, George D.

 

History of Ohio, The American Historical Society, Inc., 1925, Volume III