JACOB BROWN is one of the thrifty and substantial farmers of Crawford county, where he has passed his entire life. Personally he bears a high reputation for honorable and upright dealing with his fellow men, and is always found in the front rank in the world of improvement and public benefit. Mr. Brown was born in Vernon township, Crawford county, on the 28th of November, 1855, a son of John and Catherine Brown. He acquired a limited education in the common schools of his locality, and as early as nine years of age he was following the plow, making a hand at farm work, and from that time until reaching years of maturity he spent much of his time in working for neighboring farmers. After his marriage he rented one of his father-in-law's farms for three years, the place consisting of two hundred and ten acres, and was located west of the place on which he now resides. In 1881 he became the owner of eighty acres of his present homestead, which he purchased of his father-in-law, and by unremitting labor and close attention to business success has attended his efforts. In 1893 he purchased eighty acres of land adjoining his home on the west, formerly known as the Cole place, thus making him the possessor of one hundred and sixty acres of rich and fertile land. Here he is successfully engaged in general farming and in the raising of Shorthorn cattle. His fields are under a fine state of cultivation, and in both branches of his business prosperity has abundantly rewarded his well-directed efforts. On the 14th of October, 1875, Mr. Brown was united in marriage with Miss Mary Schwerer, also a native of Vernon township, and a daughter of George and Elizabeth Heltman Schwerer. The parents were born in Darmstadt, Germany, and their marriage was celebrated just prior to their embarking on their journey for the new world. After their arrival in America they spent a short time in Pennsylvania and then continued the journey to Mansfield, Ohio, where they remained for some years, when they came to Crawford county, locating in Leesville. Later they removed to the farm which adjoins our subject's place on the east, and there they are now spending the evening of live in the enjoyment of the fruits of their former toil. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Brown have been born four children, namely: William J., who operates one of his father's farms; Elsie M., wife of Aaron Cole, of Vernon Township; and Ralph W. and Edmon E., who are still at home. Mr. Brown gives his political support to the Democracy, but has refused to allow his name to be used in connection with public office, as the honors or emoluments of public positions have had no attraction for him. The family are members of the German Lutheran church, and for a number of years he has held the office of steward therein. His live has been characterized by energy, perseverance and hard work, and to these principles his success is due. He began his career under adverse circumstances, having been compelled to make his own way in the world, and his success in life illustrates most forcibly the power of patient and persistent effort and self-reliance.
1902 Biographical History of Crawford Co., OH