J. M. BLACK. merchant, Bucyrus ; was born April 24, 1845, and is the son of J. P. Black. He is a native of Clarke Co., Ohio, where he spent his youth on a farm, in the meantime acquiring a common-school education. At the age of 19, he entered the public schools of Bucyrus, where he continued some three years. In 1868, he entered the grocery of Kimmel & Timanus, where he was clerk for three years. For the six years following he was employed in a similar capacity by Kaler & Malic. In 1877, he entered into his present place of business, in Rowse's Block, as equal partner with J. P. Black, under the firm name of J. M. Black & Co., where he is doing a flourishing business in dry goods, groceries and queensware. They have a room, 30x98, which is filled with a large and well-selected stock of goods. Since he has been engaged here, his business has prospered, and he is now at the head of a thriving establishment. He was married, Dec. 26, 1871, to Miss Hattie Mower, of Bucyrus. This union has been blessed with five children: Jay P., Bessie Y. Carl M.. and an infant son and daughter. Mr. Black is a member of the Presbyterian Church, a Trustee, and also Assistant Superintendent of the Sunday school.
History of Crawford County and Ohio, Baskin & Battey, Historical Publishers, Chicago, 1881