George A. Blackford was reared and educated at Findlay, where he attended public schools and Findlay College, subsequently entering the University of Cincinnati, where he received the degree of Bachelor of Laws as a member of the graduating class of 1895. he commenced practice at Sandusky, Ohio, where he remained for twelve years, and at the end of that time, in 1907, changed his headquarters to Wheeling, where he has since practiced with much success, his offices being located in the Board of Trade Building. While Mr. Blackford is familiar with all branches of his profession, he has made a specialty of handling cases connected with the coal industry, and is the legal representative of numerous important coal companies. This is a specialized department of legal procedure, necessitating a comprehensive and accurate knowledge of multitudinous details. Mr. Blackford stands high in the esteem of his fellow practitioners, and is a valued member of the Ohio County Bar Association, the West Virginia Bar Association and the American Bar Association. He is a prominent Mason. A member of the Kiwanis Club of Wheeling, he was president of that body in 1923, and at this time is president of the Traffic Club of Wheeling, belongs also to the Fort Henry Club and Beta Theta Pi college fraternity. Politically he is a Republican and in religious faith, a Christian Scientist.
On February 26, 1896, Mr. Blackford was united in marriage with Miss Elizabeth B. Brady, daughter of Benjamin F. and Catherine (McDonald) Brady, natives of Washington County, Pennsylvania. Mr. Brady, who was a merchant and banker of Martin's Ferry, Ohio, for about forty years, died in 1902, and Mrs. Brady now makes her home with Mr. and Mrs. Blackford, aged eighty-two years. The Bradys form one of the oldest families in the Ohio River Valley, having settled here at Wheeling as early as 1780. To Mr. and Mrs. Blackford there have been born two children: Catherine, the wife of Andrew James Gilleland, a sketch of whose career appears elsewhere in this work, and whose family settled here in 1780, and has two children, Brady Blackford, aged five years, and Andrew James, Jr., aged three years; and Margaret Ricketts, born in 1900, at Sandusky, Ohio, who married Andrew C.M. Hess, a manufacturer of Wheeling. The pleasant and hospitable Blackford home is situated on Dewey Terrace, Echo Point, Wheeling.
WEST VIRGINIA In History, Life, Literature and Industry, The Lewis Publishing Company 1928 - Volume 5