For many years of his active career Mr. Banres was in the Nickel Plate Railway service, but his best success has been as a farmer and fruit grower, and he now enjoys the comforts and the revenues of an attractive place in Vermilion township on rural route No. 2 out of Huron. He was born in Huron county, Ohio, May 16, 1850. His father was also named Frank and likewise that was the name of his grandfather. Both his father and grandfather ere natives of England and of old English stock. The grandfather was a farmer, and spent all his life in his native shire, and died when past seventy years of age, having survived his wife several years. Frank Barnes, the father, was born in England about 1805. He learned the trade of butcher and followed it for a number of years. The "steel" which he used at his trade is now owned by his son, Frank C. He married Ann Libbett of the same town. He then became a farmer on a large English estate, and while living there the following children were born: John, William, Joseph and Mary Ann. Marry Ann was born in 1845, and in the following years when she was still an infant in her mother's arms the little family embarked on a sailing vessel that was pursued by all the vagaries of wind and weather, and after a very stormy voyage landed in New York City six weeks from England. During the passage Frank Barnes, the father has the care of two big lions and a valuable horse of Mr. Van Amberg, the noted who man of a former generation. Mr. Barnes and the Lions got on very friendly terms, and the male showed an especial fondness for his temporary keeper. Years afterwards when Mr. Banres visited the Van Amberg circus the old lion recognized him at once and the shook hands through the bars of the cage. On landing in New York City Mr. Barnes gave up his charge and accompanied his family to Monroeville in Huron County. Here he earned a living for a time as an employee in a brewery. Later he went to a farm in Huron County, and for a number of years owned a small piece of land there. From there he moved to Berlin Township in Erie County, acquired a farm north of Berlin Heights, and on that he lived out the rest of his honest and industrious career, dying when past seventy-two years of age. His widow died four years later, and was about three score then years of age. The children born to them after they came to the United States were: Betsy, who died leaving one son, David; Garner, who is married and lives in Berlin Heights and has a son and two daughter; and Frank C., the youngest of the family.

The latter lived at home, enjoyed its comforts, and attended school until thirteen. Since then he has been dependent on his own resources. He has never been at a loss for an occupation, and has been steadily progressing toward a more substantial prosperity. For twenty-one years he was in the service of the Nickel Plate Railroad, in different departments, part of the time in section work and he also looked after the rolling stock of the road to some extent. Finally leaving the railroad service he bought a small farm at Joppa corners in Vermilion Township and here he has since Thriftily pursued his vocation as a farmer and profits, and his neighbors regard him as well fixed in life and also look upon him as an honest Christian gentleman.

In Hudson, Michigan, Mr. Barnes married Miss Sarah Barnes, a cousin. She was born, reared and educated in Evansvill, Indiana, a daughter of John Barnes, who was born in England and was a brother of the Frank Barnes already mentioned. After coming to America he took some extensive contracts in building canals. He married Sarah Ballou, who was born in Missouri. Both parents died a number of years ago.

Mrs. Barnes died January 16, 1907, at the age of fifty-three. She was the mother of five children: Vora, wife of Ed Larcher of Milan Township; Charles, who died at the age of eleven years; Maude, wife of Henry Baker of Ogontz, Berlin Township; Callie L., who lives at home; and Frank, who is a mechanic living at Elyria, Ohio.


A Standard History of Erie County, Ohio, Published 1916